View Single Post
      06-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #54
gpelpel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Finally got the lift kit installed last week. BMW estimates the job is an 8 hour project. Got a couple guys who quoted it as about a 5 hour job. I went to the cheapest (yet recommended) so my installation cost was $540 plus 2 front assembly caps that were becoming loose and needed replacement ($120).

First ride impression was impressive right from the start. The X1 has a firmer, tighter feel. It's not harsh, just feels more solid and, yet, seems to absorb bumps better.

As per look the extra inch makes for a more balanced design. The most questionable part of the first X1 design is the long flat nose. The extra height kind of attenuates the long proportions of the hood.

I also like my choice of 225/55r17 tire size. No wheel well modification needed. I didn't think the extra expense would have added anything for a mere 11.25mm of extra height. I think one up size would have worked (235/55r17 for an extra 5.50mm) but it's getting very tight around the tires when the wheels are turned. I feel safe with the clearance I have now. It should also allow me to use snow cables if needed.

With the tires and lift kit I now have a 8.6" ground clearance up from the original 7".

In regards to the spare wheel, I got a 135/90r17 from an X3. The spare has the same diameter as the new tires. I removed the trunk lid as well as the spacers from the small storage compartment between the battery area and the lid. The recessed area allows for the spare to sit at a lower level than the original trunk lid. I used straps and the cargo area hooks to secure the spare to the car and built a new lid and side panels with a thin plywood board covered with strong black felt. It makes for a very clean enclosure around the spare that also holds a jack, a jumper cable and tools.

Last edited by gpelpel; 06-13-2017 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 1