View Single Post
      05-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #45
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyT View Post
It's far beyond just participation trophies.

More kids these days are latchkey kids. Both their parents are working. Also increasing amount of single parents. Jobs require more moving around the country so family support is less.

They are growing up with the internet and parents don't know how to regulate. Social media is new to parents, but to kids these days it has always been around, like the telephone to me. They understand it and use it better. This changes how they interact, and importantly who they interact with. Very good and very bad influences.

We've been at war since they've been born. People will be voting in the next general election that have never know peace. Views on 'other people', military, war, is going to be different in some ways. I don't know for sure, but it's going to be different.

Changing job market. You no longer do what your dad/mom did. Jobs are changing constantly with technology. Heck, car mechanics use computers more than wrenches (well, not quite, but maybe soon). The rate of technology change is faster than ever.

Information overload. Previously, all you knew is what mom/dad taught you or what you learned at school. To research something you had to get a ride to the library and read up on stuff. Now you just have to ask alexa. Everyone is opinionated, finding the truth is harder and harder, and people these days tend to believe what the feel is right, with no questioning attitude.

I don't envy the new generation.
Very valid points made here. At my sons graduation last night, as a girl walked through the line and received her diploma it was brought to my attention that this girl had spent her entire senior year living in a brand new home by herself, completely self sufficient. From what I was told, this girl is FAR from mentally prepared to do so. Her parents are divorced, mom remarried, father lives out of state, moms new husband built them a new home but started working out of state along with the mother in order to be able to afford said new home; problem is no thought was put into the daughter or her life or needs. End result being that a new home is acquired but no one to live in this home but the daughter and live in it alone unsupervised her entire senior year. Sad story really but at least she graduated and did so without becoming pregnant.

As far as jobs go, the job market changed years ago. I can remember as a youngster that people had careers and stayed at their places of employment for decades. This was the mentality that I thought would be the case when I entered the job market at an early age. This has not been the case. Employees are no longer viewed as resources but as cash cows. I personally have changed professions 4 times in the last 23 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
It's almost like there has been a long march through the institutions or something
Indeed. I myself have been through counseling but for a pretty terrible circumstance that was unforeseeable or uncontrollable from my end. A friend of mine and I were having this conversation a month or so ago and started making notes of people that we know who are affected by the opioid/meth epidemic or who are our age that have had to move back in with their parents and the numbers were staggering from our small town alone. Sad thing is that these institutions are very profitable from this. Much like how the prison systems want to keep people imprisoned as most are private owned and turn a proffit....again, it not a matter of rehabilitating someone and enriching society as it is cash cow syndrome.

Last edited by King Rudi; 05-18-2018 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 1