View Single Post
      08-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #102
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
So we are sitting on the bumpstops with the H&R springs and stock shocks...wow. That can't be good long term. Did you happen to take any pics?

Well, compared to the stock combo the overall ride does improve with the H&R & stock combo, just in certain extreme bumps does it become noticeable that something is not quite right. So depending on the roads in your area you may not notice.

Another thing to add to the to-do list, looks like I may be doing shocks before I upgrade wheels.....

Keep us updated.....
It's not "necessarily" bad, some cars come from the factory riding on the bump stops, or fractions of an inch off of them. They're a designed part of the suspension, factored into the overall spring rate of the car. The stock stop is like 3-4" long...so a good bit of travel through its compression. The issue is, do you have enough travel/spring rate/compression dampening to stop from bottoming out the suspension on big compressive events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
Well, compared to the stock combo the overall ride does improve with the H&R & stock combo, just in certain extreme bumps does it become noticeable that something is not quite right. So depending on the roads in your area you may not notice.
IMHO, it's only better in a couple aspects, and worse in a number of others. Over small bumps/regular imperfections, yes the H&Rs are more compliant in the first part of their travel. But even though impact harshness is down over some imperfections, the suspension is still way underdamped...oscillating far too much and feeling generally unsettled.

While you might not complain about harshness on smoother roads, even my wife brought up on her own about adding good shocks after driving the car for a week, commenting on the added rocking horse/bouncing symptoms. Simply put, bottoming out aside, there's too much spring rate there for the OE shocks to handle.

Normally, I love running good dampers on stock springs for a daily driver but went with springs on this car because I really think it changes its character. I shouldn't have been so cheap. Good shocks/struts, IMHO, should be perhaps the first suspension mod on any car, regardless of the springs you decide to run.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 08-29-2015 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0