08-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #101
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Update: Threw the B6(HD) rears on yesterday morning. Took about an hour start to finish. It was too much of an effort to remove the stock shock (and even more difficult to install the new ones) without unbolting the lower arm again, so I went ahead and dropped it.

Before the install, I checked the travel of the stock setup. Sure enough, it appears the car sits on the (albeit long) bumpstops all of the time with the H&Rs, or at least extremely close to it. That being said, it is somewhat typically of BMW to use the bumpstops for much, if not all of the suspension travel.

Anyway, I went ahead and trimmed off the first segment of bumpstop which the dust shield normally is fixed to. It's maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch tall. I might have done more, but I don't think I could have attached to dust shield to the next segment up, so I decide to start small.

Anyway, after a short drive through the city, I was unable to get the rear of the car to bottom out. So at least initially, things are looking good.

As with all high pressure gas shocks, there's maybe a 1/4" raise in the ride height, so there's some more rake in the car's stance, and the car sits off the stops.

Hoping the fronts are here sooner rather than later!

I'll report back after further test drives.

If you live in areas with better roads, or don't do a lot of high speed driving, you could very well get away without touching the bumpstops. But the car still needs shocks though. Still can't get over how people could say these springs are fine on stock shocks. Noticeably underdamped.
So we are sitting on the bumpstops with the H&R springs and stock shocks...wow. That can't be good long term. Did you happen to take any pics?

Well, compared to the stock combo the overall ride does improve with the H&R & stock combo, just in certain extreme bumps does it become noticeable that something is not quite right. So depending on the roads in your area you may not notice.

Another thing to add to the to-do list, looks like I may be doing shocks before I upgrade wheels.....

Keep us updated.....

Current: 18 X3 xDrive30i
Past: 03 530i Sport | 06 330ci ZHP | 14 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport | 11 328i M-Sport | 98 M Roadster
Appreciate 0