View Single Post
      05-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
kokkopa1
Finland
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25d M-Sport 2012

X1 grille removing and replacing original black (glossy)

I tried to find out good pictures how this could be done, but I did not find any. So I decided to put up a new thread of how to change X1 original grilles to original glossy black ones. I tried earlier some aftermarket matt grilles, but they did not fit perfectly, so I ordered original ones and they fit just perfectly. Here is some pics from project.

How to
1. Pop the hood and remove 4 bolts on the top of the front bumper (Torx30)
2. Remove hood rubber sealing
3. Bend front bumper towards to yourself from the top of the bumper (it bends quite well)
4. Use a flathead screwdriver to open 3 top attachments
5. Use bended tool (I made one with metal file) to open grille attachments progressing from center to bottom
6. Last, open the outer attachment (see picture)
7. Repeat same to the other side

I cleared and painted plastic parts behind the grille with plastic paint and also painted radiator on light black with zinc paint. It looks better to my eye when there is black backround behind black grilles, but this is of course is a matter of taste.

It took appx. 1hour and two beers to whole project and next weekend I´m going to paint also lower front bumper grilles to same black as I did upper grille backround plastic parts. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0