08-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #2459
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Are you under the constant care of a physician? Did your doctor prescribed Celebrex explicitly for your back pain? Are you having blood work done to monitor things?

Why I'm bringing this up is because I was using Celebrex. Not for arthritic or pain issues. There have been some discussion for cancer treatment that aspirin has benefits. Celebrex falls into a similar category as aspirin in how it works on tumor cell receptors making chemo more effective. Well that's the theory. There was a clinical trial where patients were studied using Celebrex along with FOLFOX6 to see if there was any benefit.

I got onto Celebrex when I went on chemo. Because I was having my blood drawn frequently for testing, my doc was able to see my liver enzymes shoot up. I had to be pulled off of Celebrex because of the potential liver damage. I was only on it for 2 weeks or so. It sucked because my insurance wouldn't cover my use of Celebrex for cancer treatment so I had to pay $368 for a month and half supply of the drug; ending up flushing that $368 down the toilet. Plus who knows what the long term benefits would have been had I was able to stay on it.

Just giving this as a friendly warning as your situation is different than mine along with your dosage is probably different. But make sure you check into having a liver function test done if one hasn't been done for you yet.
Thank you for the warning! Yes I am taking it under observation with an NP and we took blood before starting with the expectation I'll be back in 6 months for follow up (4 months from now).

However, I did voluntarily discontinue Celebrex two weeks ago because I learned of an interaction with another medication I'm taking which increases the risk of stomach ulcers. I only found this out because I developed one...which was not fun.

I didn't mention this because it was specifically a drug interaction risk which may not be the case for others.

I have arthritis in my lower back and significantly injured it a couple of years ago dead lifting. It did truly help with that pain but unfortunately a day after stopping Celebrex it's back.

If safe to take based on blood results, I would still highly recommend it for the relief it provided. I would certainly honor this advice though on making sure blood work validates if safe for you.
Appreciate 0