CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I can see why you would think that, but it's been the same for the past 100+ years, every decade:

The 1800s brought daily transport, with the completion of many national railroads, and widespread mail service

The 1890s (I think) brought Telegraph

The 1900s expanded telegraph to countries and continents

In the 1920's radio was introduced - which was revolutionary in communication. You could hear music and news from all over the world.

FDR introduces his "Fireside Chats" with the country in the 1930's, taking politics to a new plane.

The war in the 1940's was broadcast, and made "real" to the folks back home. News reels at the start of every motion picture put it all front and center for the first time.

The 1950s was TV - movies, news, etc. came into your home.

The 1960s brought more channels, and portability, and personal tape recording.

The 1970s brought personal tape decks, car telephones

The 1980s brought computers

The 1990s brought the internet

It's really been going on for 100+ years - it's not new at all.

I agree that every decade has brought us new additions to society or inventions. However, I'll argue that this is different because it changes how people interact with other people and their thought process/prioritization of things. It isn't like an inanimate object that you described in a number of decades. And if something can change the way people interact with one another then it could possibly start to erode human and moral values that older generations have cherished or had held respect for. It's like a dominos effect- it's only a matter of time before other things can start to change whether that's losing sight of the golden rule (treat others the way you'd like to be treated) or prioritizing scrolling on instagram over being in the present and having dinner with your family and loved ones.

Again, the world we live in and the intersection we're currently at with respect to technology, social media, and society/politics doesn't come around every 10 years or so. They're all intertwined with each other and it's because we are as interconnected as we've ever been. Technology is being developed and engineered so rapidly that we can't keep up and it's making way for social media which then plays a role in our society and politics. This is all my opinion, and there are MANY other things and reasons that have shaped society into what it is today, but I believe this is a big reason why things and society are the way they are today.

The big question is how does all of this look in 10-20 years? What about 40 years? How will society look? Will it be better than what the OP is describing?

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 05-19-2018 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
bbbbmw2393.50
King Rudi13152.00