View Single Post
      05-03-2019, 04:14 PM   #107
Subguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan

245/40-19 and 275/35-19 on 225m Wheels

Pirelli P Zero All Season 245/40-19 up front and 275/35-19 in the rear. Stock 225M wheels.
Only had them on for a couple of days, no rubbing or poking out. Stock suspension.

Review:

So far so good. Going from the run flats this is a much better ride and quieter too. There is a little less feel in the turn in (I don't know the term), not quite a sharp I guess. The choice was these or the Michelin ultra HP all season. What I read and was told was that the Pirelli was quieter and the Michelin was better turn in response. Going wider in the front I knew I would lose a little in the turn in but I hoped that the quality of the Pirellis would offset that... not quite.

In hind sight, I don't know maybe the Michelin's noise (very little) would have been acceptable but this is my daily driver and I rarely do spirited driving so... I still don't know. (I have a Dinan tune btw).

Overall I am very happy. These look perfect on the car. I was afraid that they would barely fit on the rim and look silly but they look stock imo. I will probably try the Michelin next time but hopefully that won't be for a couple of years.

Anyway just wanted to post and tell people they CAN get a little wider and better cushioning from their stock wheels (these are 7mm taller radius and 14 overall diameter so not much, I hope this helps with all of the construction in Northern VA rt66).

.53% diff front to rear. no errors or anything like that so far.

All of the pics are of the rear... front looks similar.

What do you guys think?

Bob

EDIT 7/9/19 Been running on these for a while now and still love the setup but it does rub on the front drivers side in reverse while turning hard left. Not a big deal, small rub but thought I should let people know.

EDIT 9/10/22 I swapped back to stock with continental DSW tires (great tires). I have been running those now for about 1 or 2 months now. I like stock better.
Specifics:
The car handles about the same on stock as with the bigger ones.

The old tires were slightly taller (and wider), with the slight increase in height came a taller sidewall. What would happen is that when driving spirited (just a little) the sidewalls would flex more than stock and the tires would wear quicker. The tires were wider though and when turning and the sidewalls flexing it did not hurt handing but the tires would wear more. With the stock tires there is very little sidewall flex. The bigger tires were all season Pirelli, maybe if you were running performance summer tires there would be less sidewall flex and this issue would not have presented itself. I am in Virginia and needed the all season.

The alignment would not hold as well either, I found that with the larger size it SEEMED like I had to do an alignment more frequently. There were some other factors here too so YMMV.

So in hind sight I would not recommend this setup unless you wanted or could run summer performance tires.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by Subguy; 09-10-2022 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 1