08-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #62
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmutx3 View Post
I read your various posts about your X1 project. It is great to piggyback on your research, and your posts have really helped me formulate what I want to do with my 2016 X3d.

I have been considering getting a new non-BMW vehicle that will permit me to simply drive on more dirt roads in forest service or BLM jurisdictions. I don't want to be a wild 4x4 enthusiast, but having recently rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Subaru Forrester on my last few driving trips, I think my X3 could be just as effective on modest offroad terrain if it was lifted by perhaps 1.5 to 2 inches, and had better tires. I am thinking "why give up my 30+MPG and all the comforts of my X3 to switch to a SUB, Jeep, or Forerunner?" . . . I think I want to do what you did!

Since I am not a DYI guy, but I live very close to you in Ventura, can you suggest a BMW independent shop or two which might help me with the Eibach mods, etc.? I want to do same rims as yours, and probably same tires as you (although maybe with my slightly bigger vehicle I can go to 255/55/R18's which opens up a bigger selection of Tires. I have a 2015 Sprinter 4x4 with General Tires that I like.

Anyway, your posts have really helped me decide on keeping my X3, and now I am looking for professional help on making the mods. Any suggestions about where to take the X3 is greatly appreciated.
Sorry for late reply but speaking USFS & BLM is my language If you haven't already got the info, here are some details:

www.europeanautosource.com is an Eibach dealer located in Anaheim, and it looks like Eibach does make the lift kit for the X3. They are the ones who installed my lift springs without a hitch. However, I'd contact Eibach (or ask the shop) if camber plates will be needed to achieve a correct alignment after install - this would have been needed on the X1 if I cared about keeping alignment within stock specs (which, I didn't care so much due to the super high treadwear rating on the all terrains).

As far as tires, I'd hop on TireRack.com and see if there are any good OEM sized all terrain tires. Perhaps size up the width by 10mm or so. I wouldn't advise changing profile size as I did, just because it throws off quite a few things (and technically, a lot of shops won't even install it). Regardless, tire size will depend on your stock size, which is already larger than the X1 stock size.

www.velocitymotoring.com for the VMR Wheels. VMR sells direct but they also have a dealer network. After years of use I've had zero issues whatsoever.

4x4 Sprinter on General All Terrains sounds badass!!

...And with that I need to update this thread with the unfortunate news that my X1 is back to stock and will be sold soon. It's still got 6mo of CPO but it's time to move on. After having the oversized tires and lift for so long stock tires & suspension makes this thing feel so low! Great car, I really enjoyed it, and even more enjoyed the looks on others' faces when taking it off road!

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0