03-14-2024, 11:49 PM   #55
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
She’s looking pretty cute there!!

I just want to reiterate! You need to get an E39 ///M5!!! Within the next six months I want to see a post with photos of you standing next to and sitting in your new ///M5. I see amazing examples of them virtually every day on Instagram!! Go find one for yourself!!!
You present a compelling argument. You made me look. My moment of lust has passed. Here's why:

While the example I saw on the road that led me to start this thread was incredible, it just isn't for me at this point in my life. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing car. I think I've driven three of four of them back in the day. They do put a smile on my face. But, I'm not now and never have been a fast driver.

As I think I mentioned in my OP, I've got a lot of experience with E39s, having owned two E39 540s from 1997 ('98 model) to4 2012. My second E39 was the perfect car for how I drive. It was the 540 m-sport (or m-tech depending on who you ask. My 2003 m-sport had 3:15 differential, it was lowered, it had m suspension and m-style front and back bumpers, all stock from the factory. It was plenty fast with the stock 540 engine with that awesome 3:15 differential and was a completely different driving experience than my 1998 540. Unfortunately, my wife and I were in a car wreck in that car and it was demolished. It saved our life, but it paid the price. .

So, an E39 M5, while tempting, is not going in my garage. If I was going back to the old days, I'd get the best example of the E39 540 with m-sport package like the one I had. All the looks, all the suspension, none of the extra HP I will never use and an AT that suit me at my advanced age.
Appreciate 3
Llarry16418.50
Buug95917725.50