11-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #39
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Two ways.

1. Just train your foot to avoid reaching the kick-down limiter. 100% throttle is achieved before you reach it.

2. Make a little throttle stop (a lot of guys doing this) and stick it behind the pedal.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...sable+Kickdown

Wow. Now this is funny...

You are absolutely right...the 6 speed transmission is generally bulletproof and the idea of "manual shifting" an automatic is not like driving a manual stick.

The manual mode essentially allows you to keep the transmission in certain gears a bit longer or change the shift points a little bit on the fly.

You will find that in manual mode, it will still shift on hard accelerations just like in sport mode, but if you let up in the mid power range, you will still stay in the same gear.

For the 35i, IMO, the best way to drive it is to get the Alpina B3 flash and drive in sport mode. It is a blast to drive. Shifts are quicker and smother than the regular transmission software and much better than a manual. I still like a manual but FWIW, most people do not drive a manual stick well enough to take advantage of some of its characteristics... It is becoming a dinosaur in the production auto world.
Appreciate 0