Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I changed from a Miata to an M Coupe. Primarily for the motor. Merge the two and I'd be perfectly content to go back to Mazda.

However my 2016 Mazda 3 had an absolutely horrible engine. Thing felt like a diesel, without the torque or efficiency. Hopefully they make this much better.
Weird you're the only one I ever see with that to say about the Mazda 3 engine in here. Have one now dont see what the issue is and have s54 along side it.
It feels great at partial throttle up to about 4k rpm. But there's very little improvement with full throttle and the thing just hates to rev. Part of my dislike is from changing from a 2006 with the 2.0L that was certainly not as torquey as the 2016 Skyactiv 2.5L, but was essentially the NC Miata engine and loved to rev to redline. I also got awful mileage, around 22mpg. I get 27-28 with my GTI that revs wildly better, has an extra 100 ft/lbs of torque and a gas gauge that at least approximates empty, rather than giving DTE with three full gallons left.

The chassis was great, loved the lift off oversteer, the direct steering and the overall light feeling without being as tinny and flinty as my 2006. But when that thing was totaled I didn't even consider another one.

Perhaps it was user error. Driven as a sedate daily, it was a great car. I just like cars that have a bit of a dual personality and that motor just felt like a 1990's Mercedes. It could do it, but it certainly didn't seem to enjoy any part of it. I always felt like that car was a great chassis let down by a lackluster engine. I also think that it was also largely because I had a manual. I suspect that engine with the flat torque curve to 4K rpm and an automatic was probably a much better pairing.
Appreciate 0