05-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This is good news, but what’s even better is it means that they are going to create a new RWD vehicle architecture to make use of the new engine. Obviously they are not going through the exercise just to put it in some low volume sports car. This engine and platform will take them upmarket into premium territory with luxury sedans, hatchbacks, and SUVs.

This seems like a pretty big gamble for Mazda, but many think the auto industry is ripe for consolidation, and this could make them more attractive for future partnerships. Gas engines will be around for at least twenty more years (if not double that). However, while the V6 will probably follow the V8 into the grave (or into niche uses such as extremely high end performance cars), the I6 could see longer life due to synergy with the ubiquitous I4. Mercedes, Jaguar/LR, now Mazda. Who will be next to bring forth an I6?
I think you are right. It makes sense to drop a V6 production line since Mazda doesn't make a V8, so there is no production synergy for a V-block engine. In-line 4's and in-line 6's can share the same production line if they are manufactured as a modular engine design and share bore spacing.

It will be neat if Mazda makes a rear-drive platform for it; I'm hoping they do. But it's not out of the question to build a FWD platform. The Volvo XC90 was a transverse mounted I6 as an example. What would concern me as a Mazda executive is would the large platform be above the Mazda 6, or a replacement for the 6? Would Mazda 6 buyers accept a space-consuming longitudinal drivetrain? Interesting. God forbid Mazda actually goes crazy and sticks a manual transmission on the back end of it.

And by building an I6 diesel, does that mean Mazda is going to introduce a pickup truck...?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-12-2019 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0