View Single Post
      06-02-2019, 06:10 AM   #35
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92, N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwice View Post
Hey, great idea, I'm just hunting for a perfect-for-me E92 and this seems like a really helpful. Great job so far!

And what are the datasources you're using? I've been wondering the same about all online BMW VIN decoders - are you querying some official BMW database/sever one by one? It would be interesting for example to be able to specify your perfect car (select body style/engine/color/option combination) and then search how many were actually made in that spec -> what are the chances of actually finding one. But that would require access to the whole database, wouldn't it?
In short - yes, I'm querying VIN one by one. Currently, the database is filled only by manual searches of users AND all the BMW's in auto auctions.

It would be interesting for example to be able to specify your perfect car (select body style/engine/color/option combination) and then search how many were actually made in that spec - indeed, that's a great idea. In fact, it's almost ready to go live. Just the fact that it will not search the true BMW database, but will only search mine. So you should get the proportion more or less right, I think, but the actual numbers (counts) are way smaller.

In fact, I just used this to filter me all E70 XDrive4.8 auctions and bought my self a full loaded 2010 4.8 quite cheap a few days back. It really minifies the manual work needed when searching the auctions. But that's only useful if you're willing to buy from them in the first place. Since I live in eastern Europe and labor cost is really cheap here, for me it's worth buying a lightly damaged vehicle, and so the tool really did the job. I'm going to put it available for all of you guys in the near future, probably, within a few weeks.

And that's what I managed to find for myself:

Criteria were:
- Latest year, production date after 2009.09, so it includes CIC instead of CCC
- Color: Grey
- Includes M sport package
- Mileage under 100k
- Runs and Drives
- Comfort access

It found me a few vehicles matching those, and then, I manually decided to go with this one:
https://www.copart.com/lot/34638829/

So instead of looking through hundreds of X5's, I was able to get the job done within a few minutes.

Hope, some of you will find a use in this tool too
Appreciate 0