04-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #41
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khemmerl View Post
Last fall my wife's X1 reported "Oil at minimum level". The only synthetic oil I had was an open bottle with less than half a liter which I added to the engine. Once the car was started, the dash display showed the oil to be at the full level. When I had the oil changed, I had the garage collect the dirty oil to see how much came out and the engine was actually low on oil so the low oil message I saw was not caused by a faulty oil level sensor.

The staff at the garage that did the oil change (which specializes in European cars) told me that the vehicle gives the "oil is at minimum" message, I should add 1.5 liters. Based on this, it appears that the oil level sensor is not so much a sensor that shows you the actual amount of oil in the engine but rather an on/off switch that shows when the minimum oil level is reached. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Ken
In all my other BMW's I always added 1L when the sensor indicted the level was at minimum and that always did the trick ( back up to max ).