01-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #37
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb540 View Post
Hi there, i have the 2013 x1 e84. Same as you, i didnt have the camera nor idrive. What steps did you follow for the install? thanks
Hey Mikey,

There is a YouTube video posted earlier on in this thread that I followed for the majority of the install. It's not from Avin, but another company based out of Canada. Everything from Avin looks exactly identical to what the Canadian video is showing for installation though.

For the backup camera, don't try to tap into your reverse lights, as they don't supply enough power for the camera (I tried this and failed). I ran the wiring from the backup camera under the carpet and floor trim all the way to the head unit, which really wasn't all that difficult. Just make sure you buy a trim removal kit before undertaking the installation, those tools make your life much easier and prevent damage. I just searched on Amazon.com for one and bought the most popular version. I also suggest you buy a wire fishing tool, unless you already have one in your garage. I already had one for some home projects and it makes life quite a bit easier, especially feeding new wire through from the rear hatch to the cab of the vehicle.

Give me a shout if you run into any trouble.

Wes
Appreciate 0