View Single Post
      08-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #52
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by black-box View Post
I'm getting ahead of myself here as I haven't test-driven an X1 yet, but for those that have upgraded the suspension, did you start from the M line package? I am looking at the E84 X1 as a new car, but may want to do some autocross with it as well. Should I skip the M line cars if it's better to upgrade to coilovers anyway? Sounds like it may even out price-wise anyway.

I am looking for a replacement car for my E36 M3 sedan, which had the ground control coilovers and 450/550 pound springs. I'm not expecting the same handling from an X1 obviously, but I'm fine with a stiffer setup for the roads I see. I don't see spring rates mentioned anywhere, so curious if anyone knows the stock rates (presumably a progressive range?) and what the various upgrade kits offer.
The X1 is never going to be as fast as an e36 with the same amount of money dumped into it. I have a friend who owns a shop that supercharged his e36, threw a wing and $1200 coilovers on it (cheap) and is running 1:38 at Mid Ohio and ran 2:10 at Watkins Glen his first time on the track - all on street tires. He is $11k all-in on the car including the purchase price of the car. e36 M3s are amazing.

That being said, if you don't supercharge the e36 the X1 on coilovers will be faster around the track, and can still be pretty fun. But you should really upgrade the rear subframe bushings and do the E93 M3 rear sway bar (with subaru STI kartboy endlinks) while you are installing the rear coilovers.

I also think that 450/550lbs will be too soft for autocross or track.

If you are going to drive aggressively do not skip the M cars, there is different programming that allows an 80% rear wheel drive bias, as well as the great sport seats.
Appreciate 0