View Single Post
      08-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #51
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by black-box View Post
I'm getting ahead of myself here as I haven't test-driven an X1 yet, but for those that have upgraded the suspension, did you start from the M line package? I am looking at the E84 X1 as a new car, but may want to do some autocross with it as well. Should I skip the M line cars if it's better to upgrade to coilovers anyway? Sounds like it may even out price-wise anyway.

I am looking for a replacement car for my E36 M3 sedan, which had the ground control coilovers and 450/550 pound springs. I'm not expecting the same handling from an X1 obviously, but I'm fine with a stiffer setup for the roads I see. I don't see spring rates mentioned anywhere, so curious if anyone knows the stock rates (presumably a progressive range?) and what the various upgrade kits offer.
Ugg...this is a tough post to reply to. An E36 is on of the best driving chassis every made, to date even. You're in for a big change with the X1.

No much data on the stock spring rates...and H&R typically doesn't like to reveal their rates either...but it sounds like you definitely want to be going more the coilover route.

I'm sure you can shoot KW an email and see what they ship with their V3s (or otherwise recommend), and I know paradoxical has posted his spring rates in here.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0