05-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #11
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Many of your statements or ideas are outdated.
a) All BMWs use synthetic oil (and have for 20 years). So why even mention dino oil?
b) BMWs with turbos have electric water pumps to cool the turbo bearings after shutdown, so the oil doesn't get coked.
c) BMW oil specs (LL-01, 02, 03, 04, ...) all specify additives and volatility and weight. There is little or no leeway, so not much to discuss.

Etc. Not trying to throw shade, but you haven't read enough recent stuff.
1. BMW is using full synthetic oil from factory but not every owner does.. to clear out why..
2. why you think that oil cooking is only on turbos and as i ve said its still the same for non turbo engines also.. turbo can heat up quite a lot but it doesnt mean that thats the only part.. and i dont remember saying that there is no electric water pump on BMW's.. and over here people are driving different brands also here as far as i ve seen..
3. cause after car gets older like 5-6 years old people tend to use different oil more likely cheaper ones.. or totally different specs according to their needs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Can you explain #4 a little more clear

And for #6 you mean its higher temps cause the oil doesnt get to move around as much in lower rpm?
sure.. i meant if there having moisture around on cap generally is not good sign but since it can mean different problems, for only oil checking smelling the oil cap can give you a clear idea of oil's state.. despite its color.. oil smell is good burnt smell is bad in short..

and the 6th.. its like flooring it 5-6-7th gear like on 1200rpm on highway (petrol engine).. it causes turbo to see its peak and ECU tends overboost to compensate to achieve additional power needed at that time.. this longer period of building engine speed causes higher temps in chamber without really accelerating the car.. recent engine's ECU is pretty clever to avoid knocking but especially in smaller turbocharged engines still can have this problem and they re having.. bigger displacement and twin turbocharged cars can affect from this less but still causes engine heat one way or another.. i can feel the difference between my car and a GTI for example..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
I stop reading after the OP's statement about "conventional (oil) has no additive in it", which is wrong in so many levels.
conventional oil has additives in it like anti-sludge additives or has more viscosity improver additives.. of course it has some additives to make it a bit different than raw petrol oil.. maybe its a wrong statement but i wanted to make summary without detailing it too much..
Appreciate 0