View Single Post
      12-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
demojac
Norway
Rep
Drives: X1 20D X-drive

X1 and iPhone4 Y-cable / docking

I got my X1 20DA x-drive (and first BMW ) two days ago with USB / connectivity, docking, nav-pro. I was looking forward to having proper connection for my iPod touch ver 1, and my iPhone 4. The dealer told me that the docking cradle for iPhone 4 won't be available until late January so in the meantime i got a Y-cable which according to him should do the same trick.

When I connect my iPhone to the Y-cable it displays a message saying it might not be fully compatible with the car. I am able to play music through the external devices / AUX, and the phone charges, but I have to control the music from my phone which is awkwardly lying in the tray in front of the gear lever. My understanding was that I could control the music from the iDrive?

I thought maybe this is a problem with iPhone 4 not being compatible, so I tried connecting my ver 1 iPod touch. This had the same problem. It also charges and plays music through AUX, but no control that I can find?

Does anyone know if this will be different with the docking cradle when this is available? Does the docking even play music through AUX? From what I can find in pictures it looks like the docking only has apple 30-pins connector, not 3.5mm jack?

Also Bluetooth works fine for calls, but is it possible to get messages / emails in the car display? There is a menu option for messages but it just says "no messages"
Appreciate 0