View Single Post
      07-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
X1blue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 sdrive 18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpxfunix View Post
My last few cars have all been Subaru Impreza's (wagons) with Prodrive suspension and 18” wheels. They were all pretty hard, but no harder than the X1.

The run flat tyres make a huge difference to how the car drives and the tramlining I noticed within hours of picking it up. I'm not too worried about this though as the Impreza's did the same thing. It's not so much the type of tyre, but the width of them. The 18s on the Impreza had 215/40 (Bridgestone non run flat) tyres with the X1 having 225/45's (Pirelli run flat), yet they both suffered tramlining.

The X1 feels like it’s pulling to one side or bouncing left and right when you get stuck in an HGV groove on the Motorway. This could be what you’re experiencing?

Funny you should mention felling sick… I went out and bought a brand new Audi A1 S-line TDi, but traded it in for the X1 5 weeks later. The A1 was a great little car, with a good finish and plenty of toys, but my daughter was always moaning about feeling sick in the back. My wife took a turn in the back on a 1h 30m trip one-day and she felt sick too.

Hope you get it sorted.

J.
I would be interested to know what kind of seats you have in your X1. We have the Cool Design interior which comes with leather sports seats.

Our tires are the standard 225/50 R17 94 H MICHELIN Primacy HP.

The car does pull to the left or right quite a bit depending on the road surface slope, but this happens on roads in good condition too (not only those that have lots of heavy traffic). If fact, it happened in the VW Golf. The big difference is that the X1 has really 'heavy' steering and it get pretty tiring correcting this drift on a longer journey. But it dealer is talking about an EPS option to solve the 'weigh lifting issue' for us both.

What I am referring to is suspension related: its a rocking effect. The car is constantly moving up/ down due to road imperfections. When both wheels hit an imperfection at the same height/ depth, the movement is vertical. The rock comes from only one wheel (or one side) hitting an imperfection. I am sure it is this rocking and vertical vibration which is making us sick on longer journeys.

I noticed last night that while the X1 constantly transmits small imperfections in the road to the passengers, it does absorb huge ones quite well. There is one area marked on the motorway and we always had to slow down to 70-80km/h there in the Golf or get airborne. The X1 took the bump at 115km/h quite well (as I fiddled with the cruse control rather than break..)

Interesting what you say about the A1. I guess S-line is the sports version, right? I have driven A1 rentals recently and found the ride to be far superior to the X1 at lower speeds but it is a bit unstable on the motorway above 100km/h. Still, there is none of the vibration present in the X1 and the steering, peddles and gear stick don't pass motor vibration on to the driver either. For sure the rentals are the most basic cars, not s-line which could have harder suspension and thus have made you guys sick.
Appreciate 0