View Single Post
      02-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #33
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

I thought I'd chime in again and say I think a lot of us are differing on what makes a car "special".

There's some great advice in this thread - specifically, if you're buying a BMW because of what other people think; you really should re-evaluate your choices.

I think all BMW's are becoming more refined, more powerful, more capable and more accessible to more people. Thus, they're also becoming more mainstream, less exclusive and arguably less engaging to drive. Does that make them any less special or any more special? ... well, that depends entirely on your definition of special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
this keeps coming up.....nothing is special anymore unless u driving a 400k+ car.
You must have *REALLY* high standards of what's special. I define special as a car that sells in small numbers, does something that very few others do, and seriously pushes the envelope in some way...

So, I'd lump a whole lot of historic cars into that category and we could all argue all day about what should or shouldn't make that list - but limiting the options to brand new cars in 2019 that are well under $400k ... In my mind Lotus and Caterham still make 'special cars', and the Ariel Atom or KTM X-Bow are quite special for around $100k. There might be too many of them available in the USA for most people's definition, but the SRT Hellcat also makes my list.
Appreciate 1
kyleb350423.50