05-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #59
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
There is no doubt that today's society is much different. I'm 27, and still remember the days before internet and cell phones quite well.

I don't think all is lost, and I'll tell you why. Social media, and the media in general allows information to spread instantly. More information is available at your finger tips than ever before, so we are exposed to it constantly. 90% or more of the media is negative, because negativity is interesting and is what sells.

Think about the days before internet/social media. The only real negative media we were exposed to was the evening news, radio, and news papers. Now the negativity haunts you 24/7. It's on all social media outlets, the news plays 24 hours a day with the "latest" dumb shit you don't need to hear, and some people even get instant notifications on their phones when something happens.

If you tune a lot of this out, things get much better. Focus more on the people who are around you and who you come in contact with directly. Yeah, there will always be the asshole in traffic or the idiot co-worker, but I find that most people deep down aren't that bad. Some might be a little clueless even though their intentions are good. With the constant negativity we are exposed to it is easy to get down, I'm not immune from it either. Usually when I start expecting the worst from society someone will surprise me and I have faith in humanity again.

I know dumb people from all generations, so I wouldn't say the latest generation is anything different. I think it's just that the smart ones are out getting shit done while all the dumb useless people troll Facebook and social media all day posting their empty thoughts.
I'm around your age and agree with most of what you said. It's 100% true that negativity and stupid shyt follows us 24/7 if we choose to engage in social media and spend our days online. But that is basically what everybody does and it's especially toxic for kids in middle and high school as they don't have the maturity or coping mechanisms to deal with the dumb shyt in the world. Hell most of my peers my age happily buy into the nonsense they see online and I see 40+ yr olds do it all the time, so what else can we expect from children and adolescents? I was shocked when I had a 9 yr old patient the other day who was on Snapchat and her mom permitted it. How can any adult think anything good could come out of a 9 yr old having Snapchat?

I disagree that people are inherently nice deep down. Maybe I've just been burned too much by 2-faced asshats but my world view has become very cynical. I have zero trust for anybody and assume the worst until I get to know who they really are at "heart."
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00