Thread: My X1 has died
View Single Post
      05-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #63
4llr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2012

The chain guide is only white in the beginning, it will turn orange after soaking in oil for many years. My TC was upgraded as well, it was white for a couple months, now it's more on the yellow side. I think the only upgraded part is the chain and the tensioner. Take a look on RealOEM, the guide is the same model since 03/01/2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Hello GVA,

For the moment, I am away from home for another week. If you are willing to wait, I can try to make a video.
What you filmed with ? (Iphone?) Just so I can use a similar recording environment.

However, please keep in mind that mine was wonderful until the moment it died. There was no sign of tiredness, no "in-advance" noise, or anything that will prompt me that something it will happen.
Never got a noise, a whining, or something weird because I will be in the dealership next minute.
I just drove the vehicle normally, then sign on dash board, limp mode and done. That's it.

The water pump does make a noise ahead and let's you know that something is coming.
The chain assembly though, usually doesn't.
There are cases when you can hear a whining noise and you can go right away for an assessment. But -like my case and some others- this is not a rule.
If you think that sometimes "whines", then you shouldn't wait. The engine must have the same sound every time. If you have variations, obviously is not ok.

Honestly, if you love the car and would like to avoid the trouble of extended damage or costly work, go and ask for the upgraded chain assembly and have it replaced. That's what I will do.
The new chain assembly has a white guide/tensioner not an orange one.

For more information about this and the story of my problem, please go here:
https://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1595396
Appreciate 0