View Single Post
      10-20-2015, 03:26 AM   #18
GrantE83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

Timing Chain

So as some of you may have noticed I have the well known N47 engine in this car. These engines being well known for timing chain issues.

I was told by a few people that around 2012 point is when they changed some parts and this stopped being an issue, but when doing the service, realising I had an oil filter from a 2011 model, this puts my engine in the danger zone.

I have been hearing a metal grinding noise, sounds like a belt, from the rear of the engine sounds like its in the passenger foot well / glove box and when you open the bonnet, you can hear the noise but it's hard to locate as the rear of the engine is tucked away.

I have spoken to my warranty company who have agreed for me to have the work diagnosed at my own costs and if approved I can have the work completed at a labour rate of £45 p/h labour rate ( not many garage work this cheap ) and a max claim of £2000. I have a couple of places in mind who have done similar work.

I also need to speak to BMW directly, I entered my reg on their website and it shows no recalls, but seeing as it has an older engine in there that is clearly affected, I'm hoping it may be something they do under good will. I have spoke to a friend who works in BMW warranty, but unfortunately around 200 miles away from me so that dealership is out of the question.

Being as I have a 2012 model car with just short of 45K miles, a timing chain should not be going wrong after 3 years.

Will post updates regarding this as and when. At least it will be resolved whether it be through BMW or my warranty company.
Appreciate 0