View Single Post
      10-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #83
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Hello, noob here. I will potentially be a soon X1 owner. I've got a couple of questions for you guys. I'm looking at a 2014 X1 sdrive with the N20 engine. i'm coming form a 2007 mini cooper (Base - normally aspirated). My back problems are just making ingress/egress from the cooper a problem.

I read alot about carbon build up for DI engines. (The nice thing about my cooper it is not a DI engine). Has BMW done anything specifically to address this issue on the N20 or its other engines? If not do you just plan an occasional walnut shell blasting and on what mileage interval? What can be done to help prevent it? You sure can't avoid it, any interesting car seems to be DI these days.

What is the general feeling of the 8 speed auto? I'm coming from a 6 speed manual in the cooper, but that novelty is wearing off. I also drove a new mercedes CLA with a 7 speed DSG tranny. The MB tranny was nice, but I felt the 8 speed in the x1 was the smoother shifting of the two.

Is the gas mileage really as disappointing as I read on this forum. CR's testing shows 32 hwy for the x drive N20. I'm not looking for cooper type mileage, but would like to be able to achieve 30+ on open hwy and the low to mid 20s around town. That would be a massive improvement to my beater 99 CR-V I kept for hauling days. (it's about 20/25 with a zero to 60 of a minute and a half downhill with the wind at your back!)

That's about all my questions for now. I'm looking at a base model X1 in alpine white. The only installed option is heated seats. I want the dealer to install and activate Sirius/Xm. They say that is 500 something. Is that reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any guidance forum members may have!!
Carbon buildup on DI engines has an easy cure: go WOT every now and then.

Skip the Sirius if you're interested in good quality audio - its fairly mediocre.

The transmission is gorgeous. I could say "gorgeous for a torque converter" but, really it is just a great transmission. I came from VW's dsg, which is faster, but the reality is that the delay between clicking the paddle and the transmission shifting up is barely perceptible, and the difference between 3k rpms at 80mph and something like 2k or so in the X1 is really nice. The only bummer is that it is so common that I can't pretend that it is special like the DSG. That said - it should be easier to find mechanics down the road.
Appreciate 0