View Single Post
      11-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #29
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
In case you are not aware, the Tranny fluid is extremely expensive. I did a drain and fill at 60k miles because I tow a lot with my X1. Estimate was $400. Luckily I worked out an arrangement and it was done for free.
I just want you to know this going in...and I’m not suggesting that you do not do it. I think BMW is recommending tranny fluid change at 100k...which may be fine for the avg X1
Mine still shifts flawlessly and that’s with X, towing, and JB4 tune. The ZF 8-speed tranny is robust to say the least.
The place we're using tomorrow quoted $220 for the flush using synthetic fluid - about what we paid in Portland OR for a flush and fill on the X3 before we moved to Richmond 3 mos ago.

!00K is WAY too long, imo - my understanding is the service should be done at 30K intervals - this from several mechanics I trust, despite BMW's BS 'lifetime fluid'. In fact I remember the place in Portland recently telling us they were now starting to see failures in X3 trannys due to having never had the fluid changed.
Appreciate 0