05-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westies View Post
I have a '13 N55, but I have the same thing happen about 1-2 times per year- engine malfunction warning with various misfire codes. Every time I just turn off the car, clear the codes and restart, and everything is fine.

Mentioned this to the dealership once a few years ago, they looked everything over and couldn't find an issue or reproduce it and said all checked out.
Thanks for the reply - I actually have a good amount of experience with engine control management and the only thing I can think of here is that there is an acute issue with either the crank position or cam/eccentric shaft position sensor. Like the engine starts "out of time" electronically (not mechanically, obviously, but with N20 chain issues that was my first panic though when my wife told me the issue) as if the cam position sensor signal was on the edge of "out of phase" and the engine injected/sparked out of time... but who knows.

Thanks for confirming another instance of this. Like I said, and you confirmed, the car started 100% after this instance, cleared the codes, did like 10 - 15 miles of spirited driving without a hiccup. Here's hoping it's nothing. I also wanted to avoid a dealer good chase.

Thanks again
1987 325e
Appreciate 0