Thread: Tips for Coding
View Single Post
      08-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
Sulphurman
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 1.8d Xdrive

Success!

DISCLAIMER: You need to understand, that coding your cars electronic modules is a very risky project and will certainly lead to disaster if you don't understand EXACTLY what you are doing. It has taken a few hours of reading up and searching the net (there's some mis-information out there!) for me to be somewhat certain about what I'm doing and if you're thinking this is easy/risk free then my advice is DO NOT attempt it.

Ok so I looked a great deal into the NCS Expert software and as I started to understand more I realised that the only way to get the complete 6NS set of instructions was to code the Vehicle Order for it.

After inserting the $6NS and removing the $6NH I was able to load the files to the CIC and MEDIA modules from the latest DATEN I had which was 67.1 (I think).

This was done in NCS Expert using the 'Expertmoden' profile, which does not use MANipulation mode files, but grabs the correct files for the ECU's from the DATEN.

It feels and sounds easy now I've done it successfully, and it does not take a huge amount of time if you're all set up to go.

So I now have 'Enhanced' Bluetooth. Bluetooth audio is working, streaming from my iPhone SE (2020). The Bluetooth audio quality I have to say, while it's ok, is a bit bright and 'fizzy'. However the best bit of this new option is the fact that my iPhone will now connect digitally via the USB input on the dash. The playback quality is very good indeed and I'm able to use the iDrive and steering controls to search and playback music, stored on the phone and also streamed from Apple Music. It's even showing the album art which is great.

All in all it's been a good spend of around £30 for the lead, and means that I can realistically banish my CD folder from the car. Excuse the dust in the picture....needs a clean

Edit: Just wanted to add - the CIC iDrive unit is not particularly fast. The input from bluetooth audio is quite 'laggy' when changing tracks, and when connected via USB the album art and searches can take a while to appear. I'll happily live with that though!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sulphurman; 08-24-2020 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: ...forgot to add
Appreciate 3