View Single Post
      07-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
I just bought a 2020 base model Cayenne last month. I returned a leased 540i to BMW.

Compared to the 540i obviously you are in a larger vehicle. Corners aren't exhilarating or something that feels like a low slung car. And the 540i has better acceleration though that could be rectified with the S or higher Cayenne models. But compared to my test drive of a X5 the Cayenne base was MUCH more athletic and more road feel. I did get the 21" wheels and it tracks wonderfully. Actually rides much nicer than the BMW did.

As mentioned above if you are really serious about both an SUV and sporty the Macan is the clear winner. Get an S or above and it has gusto and tighter cornering than a Cayenne. I chose the Cayenne because the Macan seat wasn't a great feel for me and I really wanted something large enough for 4 guys and 4 sets of golf clubs and asking that of a Macan is a bit of a stretch. Or the X3 M40i is pretty sporty too. The suspension and handling don't touch the Porsche but unless you are planning on really pushing it you'll probably never miss it.

BTW when I was test driving Porsche's I never felt rushed or that it was supposed to be a 5 minute test ride. I think they know they are priced a lot higher and the driving experience is the only thing that justifies the cost.
Appreciate 2
Logicoeur992.50
Germanauto9717.50