08-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #114
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Sorry - I assumed that was just what your instructor told you, not what was actually in the printed guide.

So, in practice, if you came to a full and complete stop, and were just about to proceed through the intersection, and another car pulled up to the stop sign on your right, you'd be required to hold tight until that car stopped and then passed through the intersection?
Well, I didn't say what they preached made any damn sense; I just said it's what they taught, i.e. the theory, not the practice. I only offered that as an explanation of why some drivers may be seen as jumping ahead when, in fact, in those drivers' minds they may not be jumping ahead. Sure, that can't account for every observed incident of a driver "butting in line," but perhaps some...I was merely interested in giving some folks the benefit of the doubt. That's it.

In practice, the guy who just arrived at the intersection still has to stop, so there isn't much point in waiting for him, and I can't say I don't really know any folks who would wait. But, to address your point, on your drivers test back then, the correct answer was that you had to yield in the absence of anything else. I imagine that's why they changed the guidance from yield to the right to FIFO with rightward yielding when two arrive at the same time.

When did the guidance change? I don't know; I've been driving for almost 35 years. Why did it change? Well, I guess it's likely very much like one of the reasons prohibition was repealed: a rule nobody's willing to follow may as well not be a rule. Did it make sense to change the guidance, of course.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0