United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
As far as jobs go, the job market changed years ago. I can remember as a youngster that people had careers and stayed at their places of employment for decades. This was the mentality that I thought would be the case when I entered the job market at an early age. This has not been the case. Employees are no longer viewed as resources but as cash cows. I personally have changed professions 4 times in the last 23 years.

I kind of wonder if part of the reason we now have this "entitlement generation" is due to the fact that the cost of living has risen dramatically while wages have remained pretty stagnant. During this time, executive compensation has also risen dramatically. The older generation harps on hard work will reap reward, and while that remains true, it seems in this day and age one must work much harder and longer for a smaller reward compared to the past.

Housing has become so expensive that it is increasingly difficult for the younger generation to buy homes or even afford rent, so more and more are living with family. For previous generations, housing costs were a much smaller percentage of their income making it far easier to purchase a home and get ahead in life at a younger age.

With the cost of living increasing and wages not keeping up, I can see how some of today's youth has become disillusioned.