07-31-2019, 12:43 AM   #115
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I'm thankful every day that even when the pressure is really on at my job, it's not actually that serious. I often remind my team, and also myself, that even if we completely screw something up at our job, nobody will die.

Wasn't always this way for me - while nothing close to being in the medical field, I've worked in large facilities and event management where we have to plan for everything. We did have people die on our watch, and the second guessing around what if our call protocol was different or what if we'd set a different egress plan or what if what if what if was the most terrible part, even if we knew in our brains that everything we planned and did was as it should have been.

I'm glad now that if I just crap the bed with something I'm working on, worst case is maybe we lose that deal and everyone just moves on to the next one.
Yeah I've thought about this a lot recently. The decisions I make, whether I put in X order or Y order, whether I have the balls to call that mean attending to ask a question, etc. all make a huge impact on peoples' lives. We do some procedures too like central lines where I'm sticking needles and wires into somebody's jugular vein. Other times people code and I do compressions, check their pulse to determine whether to continue CPR or not, etc. Sometimes I have to do a death exam right in front of the family. Crazy stuff to most people but most days I'm doing all of this. Lot of stuff you better get right 100% of the time, and there's no way you're going to be 100% your entire career let alone your first month of Residency.
Appreciate 1