View Single Post
      09-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #33
M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
I hope that BMW isn't still assuming that because the 318ti failed, therefore Americans are not interested in four cylinder BMWs.

I agree with you. I hope BMW doesn’t keep using the 318ti as the basis to make all of their future decisions on 4 cyl cars. That would be ignorant. The 318ti failed because it was a cheap looking, rear hacked off, odd looking, base model material looking car. Not because of the engine. Mercedes had the same issue when they released the 3 door hatchback. It also was hideous and sales were dismal.

Make an appealing car, give it a fuel efficient, sporty engine and sell it at a fair price and you will have your new bread and butter car segment. It's that simple. BMW needs to get their head out of their a$$ and start rethinking the US market. The current 1 series sales expectations were not met due to the financial situation in the US. Also, the 135i was a bit expensive when you started to add on pkgs. Again, if you sell it at a reasonable price, you will draw in the buyer segment you seemed to think was impossible to reach. If bmw keeps holding out on sending the diesel to the US, I will go elsewhere for my next car.