View Single Post
      09-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #51
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

If your into gaming and you don't travel like every day or every week. I would strongly discourage you from moving from a Desktop to a Laptop. Gaming is the most system heavy consumer function a computer can have. Aside from playful media manipulating. But even then, that is all just compiling work. Gaming is constant processing that needs to happen. So if you are serious about gaming a laptop of price X won't be as useful as a desktop of the same cost. The main limiting factor is heat. Desktop towers are designed now-a-days to have great air flow. Air flow = heat dissipation. Heat Dissipation = better performance from all computer components as a whole. Laptops have very little if any air flow inside that thin casing. Which is why they head up so much. And I've seen many laptops that aren't gaming specific that over heat. Also, when you factor in the dust which all computers collect inside them your air flow becomes even more critical because you loose a % of it. The smaller the space, the greater the % loss is.

Now, this isn't to say that gaming laptops are useless or bad. They server their function. But a gaming laptop compared against a gaming desktop of equal value will always come up second. Not to mention that you have to deal with the battery. If you leave it plugged in all the time your battery will suck itself dry and no longer hold a charge worth anything. But if you unplug it and run the battery you will suffer significant performance decreases. You can take the battery out and run it straight off the cable, but most plugs for the power cables aren't that tight. So it is easy to knock the laptop (its lighter weight anyways) and unplug it. Then your system just shuts off which is annoying.

I haven't even begun to talk about if a component in a laptop fails. That can be an entirely different headache. At least most laptops come with unscrewable hatches and panels you can take apart for easier access. I'd still rather work in a desktop though.

I could go on, but you get the jist of where I'm coming from. If you are a casual gamers however, then perhaps a gaming laptop would suit you just fine.