View Single Post
      10-18-2023, 11:24 PM   #17
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDKT View Post

I do have some concerns about the CT5V BW. #1 - It's big ... like quite a bit bigger than my E90. It's bigger than a G80 and the E39 M5. I know the quick response is "go with the CT4V BW then" ... but I just need that LT4 panache. My racecars ranged from RX-7 to C5 Z06 to CRX Si to LX Fox body, and the V8 is the only place that feels like home. #2 - It's quite a bit heavier. 4092lbs vs 3538lbs. I do enjoy the tossable characteristics of the E90, and it's sporty feel. I've driven an F80 M3 and an F90 M5 on track, and they're great, but different. #3 - It's a lotta cash for GM-spec interior and compromised interior space. I'll give GM credit for slowly getting better and better over the years .... but it's still not quite there in terms of getting to the BMW standard for luxury interior (let alone Audi or MB level). And the Alpha platform still short-changes the rear cabin and trunk space ... which is not a deal breaker, but kinda annoying when you're talking about spending $130K.
I don't think this is really the concern you are making it out to be here. Sure, it won't be nimble like a miata or even 911...but, the GM steering is good. Real good. Like the only mainstream cars rivaling Porsche electric steering and that somehow doesn't suffer from the dead-spots and ridiculous stuff BMW designed into theirs. Just look at the new Darkhorse vs. the old 1LE, Ford still hasn't figured it out either. Typically the heavier cars will feel better at speed anyway, maybe not carve the tightest arc, but you won't likely be in a situation where you are trying to tear the car back and forth at the limits of it's grip, the "fun" you have with it will likely be well within it's grip capability. GM also has dynamics dialed. If you watched/read the blackwing reviews...this seems to be unanimous. If you are going to go for a big car, I don't think it'll disappoint. I think interior differences are more about long-term bias than real quantifiable differences. There are differences...but they are much more "in the noise" these days. My 2SS interior is nicer than a friends Cayman I sat it. Sure, it's "just" a Cayman...but there's also not this giant chasm that people make there out to be between German cars and others. People kind of flip out when I drive them in my "Kia", as in "OMG, I never knew Kia made a car like this!?"...but it's like a carbon-copy of my BMW 4 series from a couple years ago. Point is the giant chasm/gap just doesn't exist anymore. There are people though that still see what they want to see, no matter what is in front of them.