View Single Post
      04-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

After the marketing schpeel, we were led to the technical course. In this course a short autocross course was setup with cones to mainly show off the differences between cars equipped with Active Steering and cars without. The first corner had sand deliberately laid out and we were encouraged to oversteer around the corner and see how Active Steering would react with DSC.

Our first go was in a Titanium Silver 135i equipped with Active Steering. Given we were mainly going around the bends in first gear, the speed sensitive Active Steering allowed much less work. You can keep your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock (the proper driving position) for all but the craziest of hair pins. A quarter turn of the steering wheel pretty much turns the car around.

In our next go in a car without Active Steering. Much more work required at the wheel. At some the turns you had to turn the wheel at least half turn to get the car to get it to turn.

While I can understand the technical benefits of Active Steering (given that it works in concert with DSC to help correct oversteer), I'm not entirely convinced I would order the car with that option. Mainly, I'm concerned that if I get used to quicker reacting Active Steering I will become completely inept in driving a car without it. I forsee many a curbed wheel and misjudged corner in other cars. Frankly, I think I would rather stick to a car without it. I like my cars straight forward and not too many technical nannies on board.
Attached Images

Last edited by spacedogg; 04-06-2008 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0