View Single Post
      02-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #32
MajorTranq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
It does seem weird. Do e84 owners tend not to do the upgrade or have people managed to just roll-their-own mounting solution and just screwed it in somewhere?

Normally, I would think "speakers first", but based on your comments and thinking about how the DSP might improve imaging, I'm wondering if "amp first" makes more sense? Only problem (aside from the price) would be that you need to take care to not blow the stock speakers!

I did a quick search, and according to this document (http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...8&d=1326563347), it looks like an upgrade for those who don't have HiFi -- those of us in the US probably already have that option?

When I look at pictures of the speakers, our tweeters look similar, so I think all it's intended for is to bring the base stereo up to the HiFi level.

For a cheaper solution, Match makes a smaller amp which might work. I haven't been able to find any info on this as an upgrade for the e84 tho. If it's not much better than the stock amp, why bother? Or is the addition of the DSP enough to make it worthwhile? Or does it not fit?
As I said on Bimmerfest, couldn't say if the amp first upgrade is enough. Bimmertech recommends amp first. Bavsound recommends speakers first. Others think the stock system sounds fine. It comes down to your personal taste and budget. Almost $2k later, I'm happy. Is my sound system perfect? Nope. Does it rock my socks off? Yup. One thing of note is I almost hated the bass response after the ghost sub upgrade. It was clear with more punch, and the enhanced mid bass helped define everything from vocals to snares, but it was boomy and annoying. I blamed the speaker enclosures--big plastic boxes. The DSP and a proper tune really cleaned up the bass. Depending on the source, it's just about right for my taste with tons more punch. Would a 12" sub help even more? No doubt, but I don't wanna sacrifice the trunk space. The only other upgrade I'm left wanting is to wire the tweeters to run active, on their own channels, rather than passive off the front mids. However, that's not a job I don't want to take on myself, so it probably won't get done.
Appreciate 0