08-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #42
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
After throwing on the H&R springs, I've come to the conclusion that stronger shocks/struts are certainly needed.

The only real option are Bilstein HDs. I run them on my 135i (w/stock springs) and love them.

They don't make Bilstein Sports for the X1 (not even special order, like the front HDs are anyway).

Do we think the HDs are going to bottom-out like the stock shocks do on the H&Rs over large bumps at high speed?

Since the H&R springs are "designed" to work with the stock shocks (ha), I'm thinking the HDs may be fine. I'm hoping the added stiffness of the HDs will be able to keep them from crashing on the internal bump stops....but I'm not sure.

I'll be pissed if they are prone to the same bad behavior as the stock shocks are, after dropping $650 on them and waiting 3 months to get the fronts produced/shipped.

Any thoughts? I'll post comments after I get them (first the rears, then both).
Following this thread and others as well, as I'm in the same boat with my X1. Doing some research on Tire Rack and some German websites they don't even show Bilstein HDs, only Bilstein B6 (Tire Rack) or Bilstein B6 Sport (German websites). Both have the same Bilstein part number, so I'm assuming they are the same. For applications the German websites show that they are recommended for stock to 50mm (2 inch) drops, so they should work with the H&Rs. The German websites do call the B6 Sport as being the sporting application, being stiffer than stock. They also show a B4 shock available for the X1, meant for a more stock applications. Interesting thing is that they also show the B6 Sport being regular stock, showing shipping immediately, which differs from what you have found...

Either way, thanks for being the guinea pig on this combo on here, because if it works I'll be following the same path....

Current: 18 X3 xDrive30i
Past: 03 530i Sport | 06 330ci ZHP | 14 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport | 11 328i M-Sport | 98 M Roadster
Appreciate 0