View Single Post
      04-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #592
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
??? I don't know what your point is...the article you cited discusses the same behavior patterns that the articles I cited do. I don't have an issue with stating that many, or half, or some other quantity, of Americans use credit as a way to finance their purchases.

There are multiple behaviors I exhibit that have nothing to do with loving anything. For example, I regularly review budget to actual financial performance reports. There's not one thing about doing so that I love; I don't even like doing it. I used credit to buy a boat and though I would have rather paid cash for it, that I took a loan to do so wasn't a reflection of my inability to afford the boat; I paid off the loan and I still have the boat.

Being able to afford something and having cash to pay for it at the time of the purchase are not the same things. I rarely have any cash in my pocket, so if I didn't have a debit card, I'd have to pay with a credit card. Some things I purchase almost weekly -- hotel rooms and rental cars, for example, can't (depending on the company) be purchased using a debit card. Also, in general, credit card companies disallow the use of their cards to buy marijuana. (That was so in 2014; maybe things have changed since then?)

In contrast, I do love my debit card (i.e., the concept of debit transactions as compared with the concept of loan/credit transactions) because it means I really don't have to carry cash very often at all.

All the best.
My points is that many people use credit for the wrong reason. I'd call it abusing your credit, really. See how many are in debt? How many of the things they put on their credit card were not necessary? How many of them buy luxury goods and are unable to pay for it in full at the end of the month?

So if you cannot afford it, then don't buy it.
Appreciate 0