XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
li21
Private
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

The FINAL word on BiXenon/HID retrofits for X1

Hi all

Ive read so much information about HID retrofits its giving me a headache..
I understand this has been discussed in the past .. but the discussions are all over the place and not in a dedicated thread.. So I thought I'd make one , once and for all..

So Im an unlucky one who has purchased a 2010 X1 without Xenons.. just the halogens. (Infact its an option here in Australia you can't really get without waiting .. so all the used ones on the markets don't have HIDs)

For me its a MUST do no matter the cost... I love X1 but its just HIDs are RARELY optioned here.. even in the post LCI models!? Weird huh!!?
In fact I've never seen an X1 on the road in Australia with HIDs...

Hoping I can get some help about the topic so I can speak minimal time at the mechanics as they are likely not to help if I don't have all the parts.. all the facts..

So from my research there are 2 ways:

A) Modify the headlight housing - Using a retrofit kit consisting of Bulbs, ballasts, Projector tubes, shrouds to complete the look.
(look at: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237)

This actually seems cheaper and easier to do .. but problem is it wont look perfect..

And theres the question of how to OPEN the headlight housing and seal it without getting air and moisture in.. seems risky..

B) Replace the entire headlight housing with OEM BiXenon housing
This seems the best way to do it.. but I have seen no answers on how this is really done and what we need to buy..

I have thought about buying :
http://www.magdatom-car.eu/magdatom-...Bmw-X1-E84/573

Because I am in Australia I would need to convert the lenses from LHD to RHD.

Now I'm not sure what to do ..
I've been told by the seller that I just need to wireup and reprogram the car's Light module..
Apparently these housings don't have self leveling feature ?

But then I have been told by the seller of these:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051...AMOTORS%3A1123

That I will need new wiring harness and light control module + reprogramming

So I thought.. easy.. just buy the housing and call BMW parts and ask them for the harness and light control module..

Not so easy.. I called and they asked me for my VIN..
I gave it to them and they told me they don't do a retrofit kit for my vehicle and can't supply me any part no.s

So now I am lost as...

I've read this thread
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=which+options

which seems to describe how to wireup without the need for a new LCM or wiring harness.. but that appears to be more a e90 tutorial ? not an e84?

Then theres the question of what happens with the self leveling system if the housing is equipped with it?

Can I simply ignore that feature and make the job easier?

How are the angel eyes connected up ?

Morski - If you read this.. can you tell us what happens to the High beams ?


Also - Do we need to remove the bumper on the X1 to get the headlight housing out?


Phew.. I've said alot.. got no where..

Can anyone shed more light on this topic for everyone's benefit?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
xyz100
Private
2
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: Challenger
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by li21 View Post


So from my research there are 2 ways:

A) Modify the headlight housing - Using a retrofit kit consisting of Bulbs, ballasts, Projector tubes, shrouds to complete the look.
(look at: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237)

This actually seems cheaper and easier to do .. but problem is it wont look perfect..
Not sure why you are saying that it will not look good.

I also have halogens. I just could not stand ordering an option with $5K+ price tag.

It seems to me that retrofit will be cheapest and easiest path. I already ordered OEM-like headlights from here:
http://www.carparts-online.de/shop/T...::204_742.html

They are LHDs. However it is irrelevant since the HID projector defines LHD vs RHD. Since they appear to be aftermarket I hope opening them will be no issue.

The only issue I can see so far is to disabling bulb warning. Which hopefully can be solved with capacitor mod unless BMW changed the way of testing for the open bulb. If it does not work I will figure out how to disable it in the LCM.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
li21
Private
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz100 View Post
Not sure why you are saying that it will not look good.

I also have halogens. I just could not stand ordering an option with $5K+ price tag.

It seems to me that retrofit will be cheapest and easiest path. I already ordered OEM-like headlights from here:
http://www.carparts-online.de/shop/T...::204_742.html

They are LHDs. However it is irrelevant since the HID projector defines LHD vs RHD. Since they appear to be aftermarket I hope opening them will be no issue.

The only issue I can see so far is to disabling bulb warning. Which hopefully can be solved with capacitor mod unless BMW changed the way of testing for the open bulb. If it does not work I will figure out how to disable it in the LCM.
Ahh.. So what you are doing is buying a cheap reflector housing
So you can work with and open that up without ruining your original factory ones..

Once you are satisfied do a swap?

Well that sounds like a good idea.. If you get a hid kid with CANBUs canceller you won't have any issues with warning lights

But the issue still is .. How will you get the headlight open? It's not easy.. And how will you seal it to ensure no rain or water gets in?

Which retrofit parts will you buy ?

And so you know if the bumper needs to come off to fit?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
xyz100
Private
2
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: Challenger
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by li21 View Post
If you get a hid kid with CANBUs canceller you won't have any issues with warning lights

But the issue still is .. How will you get the headlight open? It's not easy.. And how will you seal it to ensure no rain or water gets in?

Which retrofit parts will you buy ?

And so you know if the bumper needs to come off to fit?
I just opened Ford Mustang headlight this weekend. It was easy. 220F oven, 7 minutes, pull apart. Heat gun to help with stubborn places.

I got H1 mini and couple others. H1 mini I think will be least work. Which I like.

I think TRS sells a glue/stick for resealing. I plan to use non hardening modeling clay and add some hardware to keep the glass attached. Actually the assemblies are not 100% sealed. There are air escapes in back.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
xyz100
Private
2
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: Challenger
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Oh, and CANBUS canceler is a capacitor. There is nothing that connects to the CAN bus itself. Probably need to drop the bumper to replace the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
li21
Private
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Thanks xyz100..
Ill def keep the retrofits as an option


Another thought I have is :
* buy OEM housing with angel eyes
* Use an AFTER market HID ballast and bulb in this housing (easy as pie)
* do not wire up self leveling feature
* only problem is how to get angel eyes to work??

Basically buying the oem housing to use as housing only.. Then after market hids
..

Will that work?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
xyz100
Private
2
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: Challenger
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by li21 View Post
* only problem is how to get angel eyes to work??

Basically buying the oem housing to use as housing only.. Then after market hids
..

Will that work?
Well,

Halogens have DRL bulb which is always on when driving. It can be used to power/control angel eyes.

Regarding OEM assemblies - I think the connector has different wiring. You would need to figure out OEM HID wiring and OEM Halogen wiring and do the mods to the HID assembly.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
li21
Private
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz100 View Post
Well,

Halogens have DRL bulb which is always on when driving. It can be used to power/control angel eyes.

Regarding OEM assemblies - I think the connector has different wiring. You would need to figure out OEM HID wiring and OEM Halogen wiring and do the mods to the HID assembly.
Hmm
My Halogens dont seem to have an DRL bulb?
Do you mean the "parker light"

And what I meant about the OEM housing.. is to PULL out any connectors/bulbs/balasts.. and just plug in aftermarket HIDs.. these aftermarket HIDs are a direct hook up to H7 halogen plugs..

But easier said than done I guess... can these be pulled out ?

This guy is selling OEM housing which has no ballast or bulbs and states I can use after market HID kits with it ...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150788721...84.m1438.l2649
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
xyz100
Private
2
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: Challenger
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

At least in US there is a separate DRL 5W bulb. It is placed at the edge of hi beam housing.

Here is the drawing:
http://etk.bmwsar.ru/detailsd/53584/...N/L/63/63_1164

The person that sells the OEM housing - he is in Latvia. And most likely he sells LHD assemblies. I think they have BMW assembly line in Russia. So they are getting these from there - my guess. You need RHD, don't you? So I think it will not work. Your best bet would be to get assemblies from British EBAY.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
li21
Private
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz100 View Post
At least in US there is a separate DRL 5W bulb. It is placed at the edge of hi beam housing.

Here is the drawing:
http://etk.bmwsar.ru/detailsd/53584/...N/L/63/63_1164

The person that sells the OEM housing - he is in Latvia. And most likely he sells LHD assemblies. I think they have BMW assembly line in Russia. So they are getting these from there - my guess. You need RHD, don't you? So I think it will not work. Your best bet would be to get assemblies from British EBAY.
That is true his is LHD and I need RHD but i read a trick to it is to reverse the beam pattern of the projectors... it can be done..
OMG.. the more i look into this the deeper it gets...

I should just to an xline retro instead :P

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
xyz100
Private
2
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: Challenger
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

IMO his prices are just too high. You can get the whole set for $1200US from seller in Poland:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-NEW-ORIGI...e8d247&vxp=mtr

But again you need to figure out the part numbers. There were so many variations for different markets. Use the website I posted above as part number reference. It's in Russian but self explanatory. What they did - they put ETK part system (dealer database) online.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
li21
Private
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz100 View Post
IMO his prices are just too high. You can get the whole set for $1200US from seller in Poland:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-NEW-ORIGI...e8d247&vxp=mtr

But again you need to figure out the part numbers. There were so many variations for different markets. Use the website I posted above as part number reference. It's in Russian but self explanatory. What they did - they put ETK part system (dealer database) online.
True ... his sets are expensive but the Poland guy's one has the HIDS/BAllasts which might cost me more in the end to "connect" than just plain housing without the bulbs/ballast..

Thanks for the russian site.. Ive tried to use it.. it give me part no.s which I can't find anywhere online.. ie. RHD Bixenon housing..

When I called my local BMW dealer.. they said they can't supply me anything or any no.s because my car was just NOT meant to have Xenons.. :S
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
LatinBimmer
First Lieutenant
Peru
14
Rep
395
Posts

 
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lima

iTrader: (0)

Finally did the official Xenons retrofit!!! Its amazing!!! I will take some pics on weekend.

Happy!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
li21
Private
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
Finally did the official Xenons retrofit!!! Its amazing!!! I will take some pics on weekend.

Happy!!!!!
CONGRATS!!
Please give us the full story, the how's , parts and costs

You're a lucky man!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
xyz100
Private
2
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: Challenger
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBC2015 View Post
I've retrofitted a few projectors before (on my truck, a 2006 Nissan Frontier), and I apparently suck at resealing them, as they go and get foggy after a few months. Kinda sucks if you don't pay particular attention to resealing, because it is such a pain in the a.
I had original OEM headlights to fog too. I do not think sealing has much to do with it. All headlights have breathing tubes in back. Cold morning after humid day - foggy lenses. Sealing is for the rain not to get inside.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
jiudia
Enlisted Member
China
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Changzhou

iTrader: (0)

Lovely to see your thread.
My car is 2013 18i MT made by BMW Huachen in China, unfortunately i don't have any choice if i choose the MT, no option yet for HID headlights.
So same here with halogen headlights. But i've modified it already and it's exactly the first method you're speaking.
Some foto, FYI. It works, but not as beautiful as the HIDs in 2013, which i long for modify.
Yes, i give my VIN number to car dealer and they told they don't have compatible kit for my car. Weird.
Look forward to more discussion with you on this topic.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #17
li21
Private
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Jiudia - That looks FANTASTIC!
I gotta say I would be more than thrilled to get a look like yours!

Can you share any more about how / who did you ?
eg. which parts/kit? Did you use the OEM housing or buy a spare housing to work on ?

Any difficulties with getting the housing opened/sealed?

Congratulation btw!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
InLimbo
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: E84 XDrive23D
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perth, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Hi Guys, new to the forum but this thread is my first port of call. I'm also keen to do a retrofit into my MY10 X23d.

This site gives me a variety of part numbers specifically for RHD.

I'm assuming for a complete assembly, I need the NON Adaptive headlights, ie Part Numbers 63112993493 and 63112993494.

These guys in the UK sell them but I'm just waiting to hear back if they ship to Oz and whether the assemblies include bulbs, ballasts, etc.

Apart from recoding and possibly adding a resistor or two, is there anything else involved??

Cheers!

Last edited by InLimbo; 04-03-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #19
li21
Private
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLimbo View Post
Hi Guys, new to the forum but this thread is my first port of call. I'm also keen to do a retrofit into my MY10 X23d.

This site gives me a variety of part numbers specifically for RHD.

I'm assuming for a complete assembly, I need the NON Adaptive headlights, ie Part Numbers 63112993493 and 63112993494.

These guys in the UK who sell them but I'm just waiting to see if they ship to Oz and whether the assemblies include bulbs, ballasts, etc.

Apart from recoding and possibly adding a resistor or two, is there anything else involved??

Cheers!
Welcome to the forum! Glad to meet another aussie with the same task at hand

From what I head.. you need to get a LCM (light control module) that supports Xenons.. and wiring that supports the DS1 since our cars are fitted with H7s.
To buy the wiring look from BMW is about $700 a side..
I've read from some other members they were able to wire it up without it.. not sure how though..

Everyday ...doing the light housing modification is looking more and more the way to go...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #20
InLimbo
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: E84 XDrive23D
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perth, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the welcome!

Is this the LCM?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #21
li21
Private
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLimbo View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Is this the LCM?
Yep that looks like it!
Only a) I had no idea they were that much b) didnt know one was needed per side!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #22
xyz100
Private
2
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: Challenger
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLimbo View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Is this the LCM?
I think this is a ballast. Mounts at the bottom of headlight assembly.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST