XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
wantm135i
First Lieutenant

Drives: x1 35i m sport

What What Thats What I Was Just Looking At !! You Just Ordered Them ... Who Did You Buy Them Threw? I Didnt Buy Yet I Didnt Feel Like I Could Trust Who Was Selling Them And Was Trying To Find Out The Weight. Please Advise ... And Pics When On Thanks
      10-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
wantm135i
First Lieutenant

Drives: x1 35i m sport

thanks cant wait happy for you
      10-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #25
meeks

Drives: 2013 x1 turbo

h&r springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedie View Post
I used HR spring lowers about 1.5"

did you get the ones specific for the x1 or the 3 series? is it an even drop or is the rear about an inch lower?

thanks
      10-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #26
paradoxical3
Captain

Drives: BMW

BTW, I had the stock 225m wheels and pirelli p zeroes weighed.

The back wheels weigh 54lbs each with the tire mounted, while the fronts weigh 52lbs each.

Useful info for knowing how much unsprung weight we can save with new wheels.
      10-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #27
Fedie
Private First Class

Drives: '13 X1 XDrive35 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeks
Quote:
I used HR spring lowers about 1.5"

did you get the ones specific for the x1 or the 3 series? is it an even drop or is the rear about an inch lower?

thanks
X1 xdrive 28, they don't have listed for 35 but they are the same
      04-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #28
Justin(OKC)
SMYLMKR

Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 1988 M3, 2015 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Here is a pic. Looking at this pic I can sure use some spacers.
Fedie, glad I finally found some photos of the H&R springs on a xdrive35i. Just ordered a Lemans Blue/Coral xdrive35i and would like to lower it without going too crazy with cost or drop as with coilovers. From what I have heard, it isn't too hard to get the alignment back into spec with just the H&R springs. Did you run into any alignment issues? Too much negative camber that couldn't be corrected?

FYI, not my first rodeo on suspensions. I'm trying to do something without going all out for once and running way too much negative camber for street purposes. I've got some highly modified M3's to serve the purpose of suspension performance.
      04-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #29
paradoxical3
Captain

Drives: BMW

Are you just trying to eliminate wheel gap or do you care about handling characteristics? I was under the impression that the H&R springs were designed for the lighter 28i, so not sure how that will impact handling. I could be wrong though, can someone enlighten me? I know KW has a V1 kit that you can get pretty cheap from vendors that is designed for the 35i, but it will be more expensive than the H&R. Probably ride better though.
      04-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #30
Justin(OKC)
SMYLMKR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Are you just trying to eliminate wheel gap or do you care about handling characteristics? I was under the impression that the H&R springs were designed for the lighter 28i, so not sure how that will impact handling. I could be wrong though, can someone enlighten me? I know KW has a V1 kit that you can get pretty cheap from vendors that is designed for the 35i, but it will be more expensive than the H&R. Probably ride better though.
para....honestly, I want to eliminate the wheel gap. Yes, I care about the handling characteristics but I don't think I care to make a huge change to the feel of the M-sport setup the car already has. I'm not racing this thing. I don't need it to beat me to death on the road. I have had all sorts of coilover setups over the past 10 years and I have found that most coilover setups really ride quite stiff on the street even though they handle great on smooth roads. The only way to ensure good performance from these systems on rough pavement is to pony up the big bucks (like I did with AST's on 3 of my cars). The difference is so noticeable that I'm really afraid of buying an off the shelf coilover kit again. I'm scared the KW's are going to be too rough riding for me on the street. I wish I knew for sure because my preference would be to do the coilovers with camber plates and whatever needed to adjust the rear.

I'm leasing this thing, and I really don't want to over complicate things. I know that the H&Rs will lower it about an inch, ride somewhat stiffer but not much, give up some performance over a coilover setup, but likely more livable for a daily driver on the rough roads here in Oklahoma. I'd love for someone to tell me otherwise
      04-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #31
Twix
Captain

Drives: '14 X1 28i Sportline

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
The KW stuff rides softer than the m sport stock stuff. I have ACS on mine and the frost heaved roads here in Calgary can be a bit painful. For the most part I'm happy with the ride quality, drop and look of the pain old spring kit. I may look for a shock set as the rear tends to be easy to bottom out on the really bad sections of road.

Shocks are not high on my list of things to do. My next mission is M3 brakes all around
Twix is offline   Canada
      04-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #32
Justin(OKC)
SMYLMKR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
The KW stuff rides softer than the m sport stock stuff. I have ACS on mine and the frost heaved roads here in Calgary can be a bit painful. For the most part I'm happy with the ride quality, drop and look of the pain old spring kit. I may look for a shock set as the rear tends to be easy to bottom out on the really bad sections of road.

Shocks are not high on my list of things to do. My next mission is M3 brakes all around
Twix, thanks for the input. It puts me right back on the fence of what I should do, again. LOL. So have you been in an X1 with the KW, m-sport, and your ACS? Sounds like you would rate the ride stiffness as ACS>M-sport>KW. If you had to do it all over and price was not a concern, what would you choose? Then if KW, V1 or V3?
      04-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #33
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black

Having gone from M-Sport to KW V1's on mine, I would definitely rate the KW's as a better option for ride quality.....they just seemed to be far less harsh and crashy than the stock M-Sport setup.
skylineguv is offline   Canada
      04-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #34
Justin(OKC)
SMYLMKR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineguv View Post
Having gone from M-Sport to KW V1's on mine, I would definitely rate the KW's as a better option for ride quality.....they just seemed to be far less harsh and crashy than the stock M-Sport setup.
Great feedback! That makes the decision much easier. I should just do the coilovers as I'm not as concerned about cost. Plus, I can install those without much headache. Easy swap!!
      04-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #35
Twix
Captain

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
There's no point on getting the adjustable valving with the V3. If you're not taking then the V1 will be perfectly tuned, maybe a bit on the mushy side. If I could do it over again, I'd do my ACS springs with an adjustable shock to soften the rear up a bit.
Twix is offline   Canada
      04-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #36
Justin(OKC)
SMYLMKR

Garage List
What are you guys running coilovers using for camber plates and additional rear geometry adjustment?
      04-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #37
Twix
Captain

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
I believe it's front camber plates and rear adjustable control arms
Twix is offline   Canada
      04-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #38
Fedie
Private First Class

Drives: '13 X1 XDrive35 M-Sport

Garage List
As far as the ride, I must say I love it. Is tight but drive able and the wheel gap is great although coil overs do a much better job at that.

Alignment, easy as a pie
      04-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #39
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantm135i View Post
what do you guys think if i went with gray rims - hum -

I like the factory rims better than the gray rims.

I do like the look of it lowered but for everyday usability, I'd probably only drop it 1.5" from factory and then use spacers. Then when the tires are up for replacement, I'd get slightly wider tire specs and remove the spacers

I also agree with the prior comments that the X1 is the way to go if you want the turbo 6 vs 4-cyclinder turbo if you want a BMW small wagon in the states. It's too bad that BMW doesn't offer 5 series wagon.

By the way, I wish the X1 '35 came with factory exhaust outlets on each side (like 3/4 series) instead of one side.

Last edited by YellowMellow; 04-19-2014 at 12:27 PM.
      04-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #40
Porkay M
Registered

Drives: BMW x1 xdrive35i m sport

Quote:
As far as the ride, I must say I love it. Is tight but drive able and the wheel gap is great although coil overs do a much better job at that.

Alignment, easy as a pie
Does it make it harsh, I don't mind a firm ride but I don't like it to be jarring over bumps. If that makes sense.