XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #23
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
8
Rep
860
Posts

 
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

I wonder whether ECO PRO affects the seat heater too, or just the regular heater/AC.

I also think the ambient temperature will have an effect on how effective it feels - if you heat the seat from 0 degrees up to 70, I'm sure you're going to feel it as much warmer than if you heat it from 50 to 70.

There's probably also a thermostat that prevents it from heating past a certain point, or if the ambient is too high. If it takes mere minutes to heat from -20 to 70, imagine what it would otherwise do if a kid flips the switch in a sun-parked car.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #24
nospam
Captain
8
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Seat heat is definitely reduced on our X1 compared to our 128i. 3 setting is comfy in the X1 and way too hot for me to handle in the 128i, My wife uses 3 all the time in the 128i though, while I can barely handle 2. Even though my wife can handle high heat, she finds setting 3 in the X1 perfectly suitable. However, we can barely feel the setting of 1 in the X1. It has been warm here since taking delivery of our X1 so we don't know if ambient temp affects seat heat.

I still find the diffuse nature of the seat heat on the X1 more pleasant than the 128i. My wife would put a fireplace in the vehicle if she could.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #25
nospam
Captain
8
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Now I've noticed that seat heat defaults to off every time the vehicle is started. Our 128i remembers the last setting associated with the key in use.

I guess I'll have to add this to my list of request for "remember last setting" programming changes (along with Auto Stop/Start).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #26
CIWS
Moon Parasite
CIWS's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
350
Posts

 
Drives: X1 35i Sport (was)X6 50i Dinan
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: D/FW

iTrader: (0)

Unlike my last BMW, 09 X6, this one remembers to leave the air off when I restart from overnight if I left air off when shut vehicle off.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
nospam
Captain
8
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Seat heat is definitely reduced on our X1 compared to our 128i. 3 setting is comfy in the X1 and way too hot for me to handle in the 128i, My wife uses 3 all the time in the 128i though, while I can barely handle 2. Even though my wife can handle high heat, she finds setting 3 in the X1 perfectly suitable. However, we can barely feel the setting of 1 in the X1. It has been warm here since taking delivery of our X1 so we don't know if ambient temp affects seat heat.

I still find the diffuse nature of the seat heat on the X1 more pleasant than the 128i. My wife would put a fireplace in the vehicle if she could.
I wore khakis and linen today and the seat heat was noticeable and comfortable at the setting of 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #28
RocGuy
Private
United_States
1
Rep
63
Posts

 
Drives: X1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Now I've noticed that seat heat defaults to off every time the vehicle is started. Our 128i remembers the last setting associated with the key in use.

I guess I'll have to add this to my list of request for "remember last setting" programming changes (along with Auto Stop/Start).
If I have the car off for a short time, such as running in the store for a quick trip, the seat heaters are on when I turn it back on. I've not figured out the time limit for how long it needs to be off for it to reset. But it is definitely not on when the car sits overnight. This is the same thing that my old Mini did. The heated steering wheel does not come back on ever.

With the sub-frigid temps we've had up here in the week since I've had my car I've been very happy with the temp of the seats. No complaints. The heated steering wheel is NICE too.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
Teleskier
Private
2
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

I had the heated seats on the highest setting (3 bars) for the entire 3+ hour drive back from skiing in northern VT. It was barely warm (leather seats, eco mode) and thus a big disappointment. It never got the chill out of my posterior from the -20F summit ski day.

Whereas my VW TDI cloth heated seats, within 5 minutes on the highest 3 setting, it roasts you to where you HAVE to turn it down, and in fact if you don't, it turns itself down after a short time.

The X1 seats stayed on the max three setting for the entire trip, and I barely felt it. The X1 was only luke warm vs the VW bright hot.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
M3tallicar
First Lieutenant
12
Rep
300
Posts

 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
I had the heated seats on the highest setting (3 bars) for the entire 3+ hour drive back from skiing in northern VT. It was barely warm (leather seats, eco mode) and thus a big disappointment. It never got the chill out of my posterior from the -20F summit ski day.

Whereas my VW TDI cloth heated seats, within 5 minutes on the highest 3 setting, it roasts you to where you HAVE to turn it down, and in fact if you don't, it turns itself down after a short time.

The X1 seats stayed on the max three setting for the entire trip, and I barely felt it. The X1 was only luke warm vs the VW bright hot.
Have you tried it when not in Eco Mode though ?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #31
Teleskier
Private
2
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
Have you tried it when not in Eco Mode though ?
Not on this trip. I was trying to give the eco pro mode a fair chance. Not that it was worth it or did much.

I did turn the seats on in Europe without eco pro mode, and it seemed about the same weak lukewarm warmth as with the eco mode now. You don't even know it's on unless you see the control LEDs.

I do notice that the other VW with leather seats doesn't heat up as nicely or fast or as hot as the cloth seat VW TDI. There is a leather heat performance penalty, but the X1 was weak compared to the leather seat VW as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #32
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
3
Rep
272
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I still haven't had any issues with the seat heat in mine, including the cold snaps we've had (like today, -20, -30 something with the windchill).
I haven't touched the Eco-Pro button since I got the car and really do wonder if it has an affect on the seat heat as well as climate control.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #33
Red Bread
Brigadier General
United_States
45
Rep
4,364
Posts

 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineguv View Post
I still haven't had any issues with the seat heat in mine, including the cold snaps we've had (like today, -20, -30 something with the windchill).
I haven't touched the Eco-Pro button since I got the car and really do wonder if it has an affect on the seat heat as well as climate control.
I think the Eco Pro is on the 35i cars just so they didn't have to give us another blank. I had it on for a few hundred miles of steady state hwy driving and it saved 3.5 miles of fuel, or about 0.2 gallons. I haven't touched it since. I understand it's more effective on the 28i cars, but I think it's mostly a placebo on the 35i cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #34
M3tallicar
First Lieutenant
12
Rep
300
Posts

 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
Not on this trip. I was trying to give the eco pro mode a fair chance. Not that it was worth it or did much.

I did turn the seats on in Europe without eco pro mode, and it seemed about the same weak lukewarm warmth as with the eco mode now. You don't even know it's on unless you see the control LEDs.

I do notice that the other VW with leather seats doesn't heat up as nicely or fast or as hot as the cloth seat VW TDI. There is a leather heat performance penalty, but the X1 was weak compared to the leather seat VW as well.
Have had set heaters in plenty of leather seat cars with no issues so I don't think that can blamed, have only driven the new X1 one day and didn't use them, will try it and see how they perform
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #35
nospam
Captain
8
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

I drove my mom this early morning and it was an uncharacteristically cool 36 degrees. I found the heat adequate but much lower than our 2009 128i. She said the heat was the same as her 2012 328i.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #36
Teleskier
Private
2
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

The manual does say Eco Pro does change the climate control systems like AC, however it doesn't feel like the heated seats are part of that (to me).

I had the cloth seat VW, other half has the leather seat VW. For years all I ever heard was the envy of how much warmer my car's heated seats were.

This trip in the new X1 I heard - "Hah! My seats are now warmer than yours!!"

I suspect for most people it's warm enough and fine - but when you can't get to a shower after a day of skiing and you're chilled to the bone - driving home with strong heated seats taking the chill out was such a treat.

The max 3 setting feels like what a 1 setting should be. I can't ever see using settings 1 or 2, it would feel the same as off.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:05 AM   #37
nospam
Captain
8
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

I don't think ECO PRO affects seat heat. I'm driving the 2012 328i at the moment and the seat heat feels weaker than the X1. They made a change somewhere as our 128i heat Is too hot for my taste. We just don't need as much seat heat here in SoCal. I was wearing shorts and t-shirt today...it was 72 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #38
fdpxfunix
Private First Class
United Kingdom
1
Rep
107
Posts

 
Drives: X1 sDrive 18d
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK - West Sussex

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2010 X1 with leather and heated seats. Although the weather in the Uk never gets to mega minus temperatures, I use the heated seats often between 0 and 5 degrees.

Setting 1 takes about 4 mins to get properly warm and this is enough for me when wearing jeans and a fleece top.

Setting 2 I've hardly used, but have used setting 3 a few times when I've got some back ache. I can't leave setting 3 on for long as it just gets too hot!

Sounds like you have a problem or the heaters are just not as powerful as the older model car.

J.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #39
ScottE
Private
United_States
1
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive 28i Mineral Gray
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Naperville, IL

iTrader: (0)

Just discovered my passenger seat heats up to a max temp higher than the driver's side. The difference is fairly dramatic, although I don't know if it warrants a visit yet. I'll keep an eye on it. Or maybe my butt.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #40
Teleskier
Private
2
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpxfunix View Post
I have a 2010 X1 with leather and heated seats. Setting 1 takes about 4 mins to get properly warm and this is enough for me when wearing jeans and a fleece top.
Setting 2 I've hardly used, but have used setting 3 a few times when I've got some back ache. I can't leave setting 3 on for long as it just gets too hot!

Sounds like you have a problem or the heaters are just not as powerful as the older model car.
Hmm. This makes me feel that I might have an issue in my car. I had setting 3 on for 3+ hours wearing just long underwear tights directly against the seat. It was barely warm. This was on a -20F at summit and -5F at the base ski day.

I don't think 70F in LA qualifies for needing any heated seats, but rather a seat cooling system if it were me.

My expectation is that a 3 setting should get the -5F frigid leather warm in 5 mins, then get my posterior warm in another 5 mins, and then become too hot forcing a downgrade to 2 setting after 15 mins. Sitting on a 3-setting in my VW TDI for 3+ hours would not be possible - you'd be roasting after 20 mins.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #41
Cosmickites
New Member
1
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: X1 xdrive
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long beach ny

iTrader: (0)

My brand new x1,leather, has been to the shop to address the issue

First answer, "works as tested. Lower temps used on all new model BMW"

2nd dealer response. " we fixed your seats so they get warm"

My answer to all this? A bunch of bs
My seat heat downright sucks
Went paddle boarding the other day and barely felt heat afterwards

I'm beyond frustrated

On top of this both dealers returned my car damaged

Yep, they both hit something and neglected to tell me
They figured I wouldn't see it

Hassle and rallye on long islsnd
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #42
paradoxical3
Captain
14
Rep
668
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (5)

I have a X3 loaner (2013) and it gets WAY hotter than my X1. Very strange.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #43
Teleskier
Private
2
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
Have had set heaters in plenty of leather seat cars with no issues so I don't think that can blamed
I agree now. I drove the other VW with heated leather seats last weekend - they do indeed get HOT after only 5-10 mins.

I'm starting to think my seats have a problem, but am concerned that my dealer might rip them open in attempt to debug the problem.

During the week I only make short trips - this weekend on a longer trip, I'll try to try remember to try out the heated seats again.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #44
nospam
Captain
8
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

I drove our 128i tonight. Setting of 2 in the 128i is hotter than the 3 setting in the X1. Luckily temps here are mild year round so its not a big issue.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST