XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
M3tallicar
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: norcal

Posts: 300
iTrader: (0)

Anyone regret they didn't choose a different X1?

I'm debating the pros and cons of them all, sDrive vs xDrive, 28 vs 35 and find myself going around in circles. The sDrive feels lighter and agile and i like rear wheel drive, the 35 better power, sound and throttle feel, direct heavier steering and planted. (Worth noting is that the sdrive i tried was completely stripped, no moon roof or anything, and 35 absolutely loaded with everything including 19s, so bigger weight difference then there would be in similarly configured cars.) Have not been able to drive a 28i xDrive and probably will not get to as much as I'd like to compare and try non servo steering so I'd have to buy that without first hand experience if I went that way.

What tipped you to the X1 you chose and does anyone have buyers remorse ?
M3tallicar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
 
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CT

Posts: 848
iTrader: (0)

I chose the xDrive 35i because I live in hilly terrain and often drive with a heavy load - the combination of which negates the fuel efficiency of the 28i.

If I had lived in a warmer and flatter location, I probably would have gone for the sDrive - as it is, I went with the xDrive M-sport line because at least that's mostly rear wheel drive (and to get the harder suspension).

That said, most people are probably best served with the xDrive 28i non-M-sport, as a more comfortable car, but it's less fun to drive than the sDrive or 35i.
Grovsnus is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
M3tallicar
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: norcal

Posts: 300
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I chose the xDrive 35i because I live in hilly terrain and often drive with a heavy load - the combination of which negates the fuel efficiency of the 28i.

If I had lived in a warmer and flatter location, I probably would have gone for the sDrive - as it is, I went with the xDrive M-sport line because at least that's mostly rear wheel drive (and to get the harder suspension).

That said, most people are probably best served with the xDrive 28i non-M-sport, as a more comfortable car, but it's less fun to drive than the sDrive or 35i.
Oh the M Sport is def on my list, although there are fewer benefits in the sDrive the reduced body roll is worthwhile i think, plus i do want the sport seats (looks good too ). The difference in transmissions complicates things, the 35 with 6 speed has more grunt and passing power, but it could use a higher ratio top gear to allow for lower revs at highway speeds. Currently I do mostly city driving with lots of hills but that could change, plus there would be road trips. Fun factor is important still or I'll never want to drive it.
M3tallicar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
kychungkevin
Private
 
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive28i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

I had a hard time choosing between the sport line or M sport. M sport is much better in value and I really want the performance control. On the other hand I am not a fan of the wheels on the M sport (no offense) and don't want to spend more to get all season/snow tires (try to keep the cost down and M is already pushing my budget limit).
End up got the sport line and love it; still wanting the performance control tho.
kychungkevin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
nospam
Captain
 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 672
iTrader: (0)

I'm coming from an E90 335i LCI (N54 Twin Turbo). After driving my parents F30 328i I knew that the N20 delivered plenty of power for my needs. You can get into trouble with the 35i (goes from 60-100 MPH effortlessly!). We are expecting our 1st child and I am almost 40 so it's time to grow up (sold the 335i already).

I ordered the xDrive 28i M Sport. Wife loved the hydraulic steering (she drives a 128i) without servotronic. I like the M Sport wheels better than the other lines (actually prefer the 18s). Performance Control, sports suspension, and M steering wheel sealed the deal on M-Sport package for me.
nospam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
M3tallicar
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: norcal

Posts: 300
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
We are expecting our 1st child and I am almost 40 so it's time to grow up (sold the 335i already).
.
We had our first child and the baby hauler has been an M3 for the last year, guess we are not growing up any time soon if it means no fun fast cars

I thought the servo would count agains the 35i but the steering on the one I drove today felt good. It might not require as much turning in slow speeds (requires less lock to lock at parking lot speeds if you know what i mean) as non servo but the effort/weight was nicely heavy
M3tallicar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Xess
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 X1 sdrive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

I wish I had bought one with a manual transmission! (And space for a spare and a dipstick).

Of the choices offered I am very happy with my Sdrive. It is fun to drive enthusiastically and it is fun to drive and go for max mileage. It's fun to drive. I've had cars with more torque and horsepower but the Sdrive will get up and go quite nicely, particularly when the turbo kicks in seriously at higher RPM.

Added some hood sound insulation from a 128 (another part that should have come with the car) and wish I had a temperature gage (preferably water, otherwise oil). While the Sdrive is the first automatic transmission I have owned, and I'm old, it is a kick to drive and one can select gears with the throttle fairly easily.
Xess is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
nospam
Captain
 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 672
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
We had our first child and the baby hauler has been an M3 for the last year, guess we are not growing up any time soon if it means no fun fast cars
I got to keep my S2000 (Greddy Turbo). It was the S2000 or the 335, one had to go!
nospam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
dchao
Private
 
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive20d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

You live in norcal. I think you should pick the xDrive, so you can take her to Tahoe with you in the winter (unless you have another AWD already).

I ended up picking the xDrive M sport, because I live in the city, and I like firmer suspensions.
dchao is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
JL350
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2.0d X Drive X1
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perth, Australia

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

I was going to order space grey, 2.0D x drive, sunroof. Test drove a vermillion red one, sunroof, Nevada leather, twin blade alloys, etc, about $15k cheaper than retail because it was a demo model.

Went with the red one, wife loves it, handles really well, gets about 9L/100 fuel consumption for 95% city driving. Looks really good and the red is different, comfortable, could have more room in the cargo area but it is enough for a family of four.

I like the x drive particularly when it rains and the road is a bit slick, also gives it a bit of off road ability within reason.
JL350 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
 
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CT

Posts: 848
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Performance Control, sports suspension, and M steering wheel sealed the deal on M-Sport package for me.
Is there much difference between the standard steering wheel and the M steering wheel (without paddles), apart from the ///M logo at the bottom?

The X1's steering wheel is one of the things I like the least about the car. It seems made with the "more is better" philosophy.
I wish they had a real sports steering wheel that's closer to the driver, with a crumple zone instead of airbag, more usable grip area and a less obstructed view. I am sorely tempted to remove the M steering wheel and put a Momo or something similar there instead, even if I lose the extra buttons.
Grovsnus is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
 
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CT

Posts: 848
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL350 View Post
I was going to order space grey, 2.0D x drive, sunroof. Test drove a vermillion red one, sunroof, Nevada leather, twin blade alloys, etc, about $15k cheaper than retail because it was a demo model.

Went with the red one
I wish we could get red here in the US. Unfortunately, apart from the orange, it's all rather dull colours. I think BMW USA tries to come across as conservative and understated luxury. Seeing a bright orange X1 with the same luxury level as a 2CV zoom past you kind of shatters that image.

Grey is the "in" colour here in the US right now, and it shows - driving past a car dealer these days, and especially a BMW dealer, you feel transformed into a monochrome movie, with black, white and the full spectrum of greys between them. In the periphery, you may see a daring display of colour - a dark blue or pensioner beige model.
Grovsnus is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Bill B.
First Lieutenant
 
Bill B.'s Avatar
 
Drives: '12 135i, '13 X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cary, NC

Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

I regret BMW forced me not to get the M-Sport package because the color I wanted wasn't an option. I also regret BMW forced me to get a different trim because the one I really liked was "exclusive" to a line.
Bill B. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
Bill B.
First Lieutenant
 
Bill B.'s Avatar
 
Drives: '12 135i, '13 X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cary, NC

Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xess View Post
I wish I had bought one with a manual transmission! (And space for a spare and a dipstick).
Yup, spare (no RFTs) and dipstick would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xess View Post
Added some hood sound insulation from a 128 (another part that should have come with the car)
How did you do that? I put the hood insulation in for my 135i, but it looked completely different than what would fit the X1.
Bill B. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
M3tallicar
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: norcal

Posts: 300
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
You live in norcal. I think you should pick the xDrive, so you can take her to Tahoe with you in the winter (unless you have another AWD already).

I ended up picking the xDrive M sport, because I live in the city, and I like firmer suspensions.
True, a good point in favor of 4 wheel drive. I suppose I was thinking that I didn't need to consider it for a rare trip (could rent an awd for that ) but it would provide a measure of additonal sercurity in the heavy rain and flooding we get here.

Re dip sticks and good oil and water gauges, don't get me started on how lame it is that they (and other manufacturers ) have stopped providing the tools to us that would allow us to best take care of our cars. It's especially frustrating because I've had the chance to compare the computer oil level to the dipstick in a car with both and the computer level was not only not accurate but could be really off.
M3tallicar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
nospam
Captain
 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 672
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Is there much difference between the standard steering wheel and the M steering wheel (without paddles), apart from the ///M logo at the bottom?
IMO yes, there is a big difference. The M wheel is much thicker, and the leather is perforated and much softer than the other wheels. The M wheel appears to be the same wheel offered on the E9x M Sport package. Many feel that this wheel is superior to the wheel that comes on the M3 (M3 owner have swapped to the M Sport steering wheel).

I am also not a fan of the aluminum colored trim on the non-M Sport steering wheels.
nospam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,240
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
One good thing about the 35i is the inclusion of an oil temperature gauge. I find coolant gauges to be far inferior to oil temp since oil temp tells you when you can actually use the engine and coolant temp tends to only tell you when you'll be able to get heat through the vents.

In fact, what is the benefit of a coolant gauge? You'll see rising engine temps on the oil temp gauge if you're in danger of overheating, and the coolant idiot light is usually just as useful as the dumbed down, Off / Everything's Okay / Duck and Cover that most modern coolant gauges show.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
nospam
Captain
 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 672
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
One good thing about the 35i is the inclusion of an oil temperature gauge. I find coolant gauges to be far inferior to oil temp since oil temp tells you when you can actually use the engine and coolant temp tends to only tell you when you'll be able to get heat through the vents.
I didn't realize this. Oil temp gauge is a must for driving hard with a boosted engine. Does the 28i have the same oil cooler as the 35i?
nospam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
nospam
Captain
 
Drives: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 672
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
I regret BMW forced me not to get the M-Sport package because the color I wanted wasn't an option. I also regret BMW forced me to get a different trim because the one I really liked was "exclusive" to a line.
I agree. I hate the whole LINE ordering madness. I would have liked to get a different color and trim, but I still found (settled) something I liked within M Sport package.
nospam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,240
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I didn't realize this. Oil temp gauge is a must for driving hard with a boosted engine. Does the 28i have the same oil cooler as the 35i?
No, the N20 does not have an external oil cooler like the N55 does:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...75&hg=17&fg=05

The 28i cars also don't have an oil temp gauge (or coolant temp). Silly, I'm not sure why BMW doesn't include them for the N20.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
dchao
Private
 
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive20d
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
IMO yes, there is a big difference. The M wheel is much thicker, and the leather is perforated and much softer than the other wheels.

I am also not a fan of the aluminum colored trim on the non-M Sport steering wheels.
+1

The M wheel goes perfectly with the heavier hydraulic steering, because it's very comfortable to hold, and you need that with the heavier steering.

A little tidbit about the thumbrest:

For cars with Sports Package, it will have a thumbrest if you don't have the paddle shifters. If you have the paddle shifters, the thumbrest will be gone.

On cars with M Sports Package, it will have a thumbrest regardless of whether you have paddle shifters or not.
dchao is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
 
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CT

Posts: 848
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
A little tidbit about the thumbrest:

For cars with Sports Package, it will have a thumbrest if you don't have the paddle shifters. If you have the paddle shifters, the thumbrest will be gone.

On cars with M Sports Package, it will have a thumbrest regardless of whether you have paddle shifters or not.
Surely a pinkie rest, unless they teach a 9-15 position in germany instead of 10-2?
Grovsnus is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST