XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
 
BEAMERBOI's Avatar
 
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Florida

Posts: 486
iTrader: (0)

Fog Lights

DO any of you know how to change out the fog lights ?
Is there an easy way? Maybe im looking in the wrong spot to do it.......
__________________
BEAMERBOI is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Cfrem15
Cfrem15
 
Cfrem15's Avatar
 
Drives: E84 N55
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh (winter) Beirut (Summer)

Posts: 303
iTrader: (0)

No idea, I just went with the lamin-x on my e92... and will probably do the same for the x1
Cfrem15 is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
 
BEAMERBOI's Avatar
 
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Florida

Posts: 486
iTrader: (0)

Ok I have given up on these fog lights and going to put a call into my service guy and see if he can hook me up ! I have cut my hand up trying to get to the lights. I found the place in the wheel well but its almost impossible to get too as you don't know what your pulling on....
__________________
BEAMERBOI is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
 
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal

Posts: 187
iTrader: (0)

Easy, there's two way, thru the engine bay or thru the wheel well cover.

The Left side you can't get to thru the engine bay, you have to turn to get the fog light loose.
Right side can be reach from inside, same thing turn and unplug from harness.
ohnoyuji is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
iwantanx
Private
 
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
Ok I have given up on these fog lights and going to put a call into my service guy and see if he can hook me up ! I have cut my hand up trying to get to the lights. I found the place in the wheel well but its almost impossible to get too as you don't know what your pulling on....
I also cut my hand this past weekend trying to get at the driver's side fog light through that useless wheel arch opening. Don't bother folks, it's near impossible. I ended up removing 3 screws under the car that fasten the leading edge of the plastic wheel arch moulding piece to another plastic moulding piece forward of the wheel, then squeezing my arm up from below the car into the opening, and I was finally able to reach the bulb. Not easy at all. And I never did try the passenger side.
iwantanx is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
 
BEAMERBOI's Avatar
 
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Florida

Posts: 486
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji View Post
Easy, there's two way, thru the engine bay or thru the wheel well cover.

The Left side you can't get to thru the engine bay, you have to turn to get the fog light loose.
Right side can be reach from inside, same thing turn and unplug from harness.
If its so easy then come to Florida and replace my fog lights for me!
__________________
BEAMERBOI is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
Cfrem15
Cfrem15
 
Cfrem15's Avatar
 
Drives: E84 N55
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh (winter) Beirut (Summer)

Posts: 303
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
Ok I have given up on these fog lights and going to put a call into my service guy and see if he can hook me up ! I have cut my hand up trying to get to the lights. I found the place in the wheel well but its almost impossible to get too as you don't know what your pulling on....
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantanx View Post
I also cut my hand this past weekend trying to get at the driver's side fog light through that useless wheel arch opening. Don't bother folks, it's near impossible. I ended up removing 3 screws under the car that fasten the leading edge of the plastic wheel arch moulding piece to another plastic moulding piece forward of the wheel, then squeezing my arm up from below the car into the opening, and I was finally able to reach the bulb. Not easy at all. And I never did try the passenger side.

Told you guys just go with Lamin-x not worth getting all cut up!!
Cfrem15 is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
iwantanx
Private
 
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

OK, I had another go at this today, and in fact you can access the fog light bulbs from inside the engine compartment, but it's a tight squeeze. It helps if you have skinny arms.

The passenger side is the more readily accessible one, but I did have to temporarily disconnect the headlight wiring harness to provide extra space for my arm. Just stick your right arm down behind the headlight cluster, then reach forward.

Accessing the driver's side fog light required opening the air filter housing and lifting the front portion out of the way. I also disconnected the headlight wiring harness, but this side seemed a bit roomier for my left arm.

You'll have to remove and insert the bulbs by feel alone, as you can't see them at all from above. This is tricky, but not impossible. Just keep track of the fully seated and open positions before removing the old bulb, then reverse the operation on reinstalling the new bulb. I wore rubber gloves to keep from touching the bulbs with my fingers, and to fully protect the bulbs as I manoeuvred them up to the openings. Be sure not to scrape the sides of your bulbs when inserting them into the openings, or you may scratch off the coating (if any) on your bulb.

Good luck!
iwantanx is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #9
M3tallicar
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: norcal

Posts: 300
iTrader: (0)

Has anyone found an easier way to change the fog bulbs?
M3tallicar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
xyz100
Private
 
Drives: Challenger
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas

Posts: 92
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
Has anyone found an easier way to change the fog bulbs?
Yes, I am buying a new X1.
xyz100 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
forenking
New Member
 
Drives: E84 SDrive 20i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
DO any of you know how to change out the fog lights ?
Is there an easy way? Maybe im looking in the wrong spot to do it.......
I changed my fog lights bulb by lifting up my car and access thru the factory suggested spot under the fender. Turn the wheels to opposite side and access could be easy. I have changed my bulbs to a pure yellow bulbs which are only HKD 110 dollars. Ran it for over 24 hours and still running well.
forenking is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST