XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
mwtrogus
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

35i aftermarket exhaust, install attempt...

I bought a Corsa exhaust rear section designed for a 135 and just tried to install on a X1 35i.... figured i'd pass along some feedback on the issues and ultimate failure.

Corsa part #14564, good picture and movie link here:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...t-systems.aspx

First off, I knew it wouldn't just bolt up on the first try and thought my local exhaust shop could make it fit. Here is where we saw the fit issues and it is no issue with the Corsa exhaust, it is just made to fit the 135.

- The 2 bolt flange didn't fit well on the stock mid pipe exhaust gasket.
- The X1 35i has a rear cross brace support and there is a large triangular shaped black mounting point, this creates space issues with the exhaust pipe and routing as the muffler section cant be mounted high enough or close enough to the underside of the the car. The cross brace seemed to clear fine, but the large bracket was in a bad spot and takes up a lot of space.
- The exhaust hanger points do match up with stock, but the exhaust tips are about 2 inches away from where they need to be to exit the rear valance/diffuser. If the hangers were bent or reconfigured the tips could stick out the rear diffuser, but then you have 2 inches to make up in the pipework.

Some of these items could be modified and things forced to work, but the shop nor I felt like a day's worth of cutting/twisting/tweaking was worth the effort of costs. The x-brace support seemed to be the big hurdle to make the Corsa muffler fit properly. It's a shame since the Corsa system looks great and from all the hype with their zero drone muffler design, I wanted to have this system installed. We did start the car with no muffler and it does sound good under revs, but too aggressive for me as a daily driver and detracts from the "sleeper" fun factor.

This is my daily driver so I wanted to keep a muffler section and don't want the drone of the straight pipe setup, nor the "cold start" loud exhaust. I run catless downpipe right now and will either run the N55 catless midpipes - #18307599743 or try an aftermarket set, like Agency Power, MadDad, Berk.

So for now, I'll stick to stock muffler and eliminate the mid cats and see if that gives me a slightly more aggressive sound and increased exhaust flow.

Again, I just wanted to pass along feedback on the fitment of a 135 designed system onto our X1 chassis to answer questions that have floated around the forum and in my head for a long time! Sorry that I didn't take any pics!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
paradoxical3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank you for doing this, you helped answer questions for a lot of people!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
Twix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 N20 ZSL

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [2.75]
28i is the same issues. After suspension and brakes this year, if I have any time left, I'll look into buying some tubing and welding something up that fits.
      01-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
mwtrogus
Rep

Just wanted to add that I just tried to install Berk resonated mid pipes on the N55 X1 and they don't fit. They are designed for N54 and N55 BMW 135.
I wanted to run these midpipes to remove the secondary cats. The Berk were overall about 3 inches short and the bends were not in the right places and our X1 must have a slightly narrower exhaust path than the 135. I actually thought that they would have been a much closer fit and my exhaust shop could modify to fit, but there was no chance.
Only option as I see it is to run a Y pipe off the downpipe (I have a catless AR downpipe) to bring it back as a 2 into 1 setup. A 3 or 3.5 inch single pipe. Maybe an inline muffler midsection and then straight pipe all the way back, into a true dual exhaust, quad tip.
just letting everyone know... downpipe for N55 fit, but not midpipe or cat back muffler.

Last edited by mwtrogus; 01-29-2015 at 10:03 PM. Reason: :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Drlu23
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive 28i

Thanks for the great feedback and the time you spent looking into this mod.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:02 PM   #6
JDMCIVIC
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Has anyone thought about adapting the new 2016 X1 exhaust system to the 1st gen X1? I was looking at pics and it appears the 2016 models have a dual exhaust system. I was also looking into exhaust systems for the 1M, but it looks like that won't work based on your first post. Thanks again for trying it out.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:56 PM   #7
Twix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 N20 ZSL

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [2.75]
Since the F48 is completely different, I doubt the exhaust will fit whatsoever. Supersprint makes an exhaust for the N20 which has quad tips, I doubt the size would be too small for the 35i
      Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #8
mwtrogus
Rep

Custom single pipe from front to back should be a good option, but local exhaust shops won't have fancy mandrel bends. Then split into 2 pipes near the rear axle and route out through modified rear diffuser with quad tips. The battery tray is in the way to put a large side to side muffler in the back. I'll have to source the flanges and tips and work out a plan with exhaust guy to see if we can make it a reality. The car sounds good now with catless downpipe and keeps the sleeper factor so not sure if I'll invest any more time into it.
Appreciate 0