XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-05-2015, 03:31 AM   #1
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
5
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i X-Line
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Olympia, WA

iTrader: (0)

Fitting square 255/40-18

Ok, so I am still searching for leather M Sport seats....meanwhile...

I am thinking the 255/40-18 size tire all the way around is a nice way to go for my rig.

Slightly taller than the 225/45-18 on there now. Willtheyfit.com shows them to be an easy fit (well theoretically).

Any idea on the best 8.5" wide wheel offset? 30? 35? 25?

I am looking at the new TSW Bathurst in 18x8.5 with +35.



Fairly light and rotary forged. Whaddya think? Gimme some opinions!

Last edited by Shock96; 06-05-2015 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Broke my own huge image rule...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
0w40X1
Private First Class
1
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Texas

iTrader: (0)

I don't know what fits there, but why don't you put 255/35r18 all around.

If you have fitment issues that would be slightly lower, lighter, fit easier, and gear down slightly.

Yeah, your speedo will be even 4 more % off, but get a scan guage to view exact speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
PrematureApex
Captain
29
Rep
713
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

255/40 is a stock size (225/45F, 255/40R), and basically the same diameter as a 225/45. Currently, I have 255/40s in the rear with a 15mm spacer on 9" 40ET wheels from my E46 M3. So that puts it around a 25mm offset. I don't think you'd want to go much less in that department, as you'll start to stick a bit too far outside the fenders.

A 35 series would be fine as well, and as mentioned, would help gearing... but I wouldn't for a couple of reasons:

1. The ride comfort/wheel protection will be that much worse, and
2. The fenders of this car are huge. A 255/35 is going to fill in the massive spaces even less.

I'd buy 35ET wheels, and use spacers to fine tune the fit to your liking.

245/40 or 245/45 wouldn't be an awful way to go either.

Last edited by PrematureApex; 06-05-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
5
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i X-Line
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Olympia, WA

iTrader: (0)

0w40X1 - Thanks for the advice, but that is way to low a profile for me. I have a degenerative neurological disorder so I am looking for some decent ride.

PM - Thanks for the specs you are running. Glad to hear they fit OK on the rear, but any ideas on the front?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
0w40X1
Private First Class
1
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Texas

iTrader: (0)

PrematureApex,

I appreciate you being more respectful of other people's ideas (mine) on this thread.

1. People that bought the 8 x19 and 9 x19 wheel package with M Sport run flat tires will have a much harsher ride than going to 40 and 35 profile on non run flat.

2. After talking down to my ideas, you're worried about fender clearance too big?

The OP will have to be careful with the front wheel setup he gets to not rub when turning. When changing things that improve feel and performance, I'm thinking I don't care if fenders don't look Donk. Less is more as in less weight and more performance, but to each his own. Lowering might be an idea, but If my car is handling good I'd not put untested springs on for looks; only if the suspension worked better.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
5
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i X-Line
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Olympia, WA

iTrader: (0)

Also, I forgot to mention I will be putting on a set of H&R springs so there will be a drop.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
0w40X1
Private First Class
1
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Texas

iTrader: (0)

Shock96,

I'm 63 and got CMT muscular dystrophy so I can barely walk to the car, and I sure ain't gonna wrench much anymore except oil change.

So tell me exactly what specs your X1 has so we don't keep talking in circles.

My M Sport is firm suspension, the run flats in 225/45r18 and 255/40r18 are firm, and probably what's jarring on potholes, but I'm pretty sure Michelin PSS will be softer.On good pavement the ride is very good, and control excellent. There are so many ways to order a BMW that we all sound like the 5 blind men describing an elephant.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
PrematureApex
Captain
29
Rep
713
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
0w40X1 - Thanks for the advice, but that is way to low a profile for me. I have a degenerative neurological disorder so I am looking for some decent ride.

PM - Thanks for the specs you are running. Glad to hear they fit OK on the rear, but any ideas on the front?
I test fit the fronts as well. No issues at all. There's a LOT of room up front on this car.

Guys runnng lowered with 285s...

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ncia+orange+X1
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
0w40X1
Private First Class
1
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Texas

iTrader: (0)

Ok, I see X line which is regular suspension, and you probably got 225/45r18 no season tires, but still with run flat.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
PrematureApex
Captain
29
Rep
713
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
PrematureApex,

I appreciate you being more respectful of other people's ideas (mine) on this thread.

1. People that bought the 8 x19 and 9 x19 wheel package with M Sport run flat tires will have a much harsher ride than going to 40 and 35 profile on non run flat.

2. After talking down to my ideas, you're worried about fender clearance too big?

The OP will have to be careful with the front wheel setup he gets to not rub when turning. When changing things that improve feel and performance, I'm thinking I don't care if fenders don't look Donk. Less is more as in less weight and more performance, but to each his own. Lowering might be an idea, but If my car is handling good I'd not put untested springs on for looks; only if the suspension worked better.
The whole motivating factor behind your 35 series suggestion was an unfounded concern with rubbing.

The car will fit 255/40s up front, VERY EASILY, even lowered. There is no reason to go with a 35 series, but for a gearing advantage. He retains his speedo accuracy, keeps more ride comfort, and doesn't further dwarf the small-looking wheels within the huge fenders (not that I care that much about looks, but it's a COMMON complaint about this car, from an aesthetic standpoint).

I'm not "talking down" to your ideas...but it just doesn't make a ton of sense. You're proposing a solution to something that isn't a problem.

Last edited by PrematureApex; 06-05-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #11
PrematureApex
Captain
29
Rep
713
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
Also, I forgot to mention I will be putting on a set of H&R springs so there will be a drop.
That's a very slight drop, no worries there.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #12
0w40X1
Private First Class
1
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
I test fit the fronts as well. No issues at all. There's a LOT of room up front on this car.

Guys runnng lowered with 285s...

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ncia+orange+X1
So a soccer mom's grocery getter can be a pretty good track car after all.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
5
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i X-Line
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Olympia, WA

iTrader: (0)

Oh yeah, I forgot about Activ3's car. 285's are massive, but I guess with the car's weight being quite high it isn't out of the question.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think the 255/40 is the way to go for me and I am glad to hear they should fit fine with the right offset.

I am still hunting for wheels so I can choose based on the offset and weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
0w40X1
Private First Class
1
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
The whole motivating factor behind your 35 series suggestion was an unfounded concern with rubbing.

The car will fit 255/40s up front, VERY EASILY, even lowered. There is no reason to go with a 35 series, but for a gearing advantage. He retains his speedo accuracy, keeps more ride comfort, and doesn't further dwarf the small-looking wheels within the huge fenders (not that I care that much about looks, but it's a COMMON complaint about this car, from an aesthetic standpoint).

I'm not "talking down" to your ideas...but it just doesn't make a ton of sense. You're proposing a solution to something that isn't a problem.
We are just not communicating.

You keep jumping to conclusions on peoples motives.

The BMW speedo is already WRONG, so who cares what it says.

I get my Scanguage closer to my eyeball, and it's corrected to exact speed.

I want the lower profile as a free gearing down, and a way to chunk 5# per front tire.

The BMW wheel and tire on the front is very heavy like 50# or something, but I like them and can take 10% weight off for more performance for less.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #15
zeevette
Unllicensed
zeevette's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2013 X1 35i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pasco, WA. USA

iTrader: (0)

I run 245-40/19 on 8.5/ET35 fronts now. Perfect fitment, non runflat. No issues. My choice for the back works fine, but I should have gone with the ET35 9.5", instead of ET20. (275-35/19)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #16
PrematureApex
Captain
29
Rep
713
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post

The BMW speedo is already WRONG, so who cares what it says.

I want the lower profile as a free gearing down, and a way to chunk 5# per front tire.

The BMW wheel and tire on the front is very heavy like 50# or something, but I like them and can take 10% weight off for more performance for less.
Agree with all of that.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #17
Twix
Major
Twix's Avatar
Canada
28
Rep
1,085
Posts

Drives: 2014 E84 N20 ZSL
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X1  [3.50]
If you can order separate offsets for front rear, do +27 ish front and you can probably do +12-15 in the rear. That will put the wheels pretty flush with the fenders.
__________________
2014-X1-28i-Sportline-Black Sapphire-Black Dakota-'15 Cluster cover-'15 trim-AC Schnitzer springs-Work Brombacher 19x8.5f 19x10r-Michelin PSS 235/40f, 265/35r-aFe intake-Dinan stage 1-ER catted DP
2012 Subrosa Malum dirt/custom
2014 Rocky Mountain Whistler 30
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #18
zeevette
Unllicensed
zeevette's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2013 X1 35i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pasco, WA. USA

iTrader: (0)

Your rears@ ET20 will stick out 1" more than stock. (8.5x18) My combo sticks out 1.4" more than stock,(rears) and that's about 1/2" outside the fender line, which is something I'm not crazy about. If you get a square setup, the 8.5 ET35 will be tucked in the rears, compared to the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #19
PrematureApex
Captain
29
Rep
713
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
If you can order separate offsets for front rear, do +27 ish front and you can probably do +12-15 in the rear. That will put the wheels pretty flush with the fenders.
For the ability to rotate tires, and fine-tune fitment, I like the idea of square wheels and adding spacers, personally.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #20
zeevette
Unllicensed
zeevette's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2013 X1 35i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pasco, WA. USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
For the ability to rotate tires, and fine-tune fitment, I like the idea of square wheels and adding spacers, personally.
This' pretty smart. That model wheel only comes in ET35 or 15, so the 35 all 'round seems to be a winner.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #21
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
5
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i X-Line
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Olympia, WA

iTrader: (0)

Ok, so that answers a lot for me. I want them to be flush all around and I would like to rotate all around rather than side to side. Having said that, as Zee said, they do come in +35 and +15 so that would be perfect without the spacers at all. I am a little leery of spacers. When we were racing Spec E, alot of the GT2 and 3 911 guys were running spacers with no ill affect so....

As for the wheels, I am not sold on them yet. I like them, but I am open to others.

If I do go with those, then leave the +35 alone in front and add a spacer to the rear. Twix recommended +12-15 so that means a 20mm spacer vs just buying +15 for the rear.

Thanks for the help guys. I know this topic has been beat to death, but it is hard to find info to match exactly the need.

Last edited by Shock96; 06-05-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #22
zeevette
Unllicensed
zeevette's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2013 X1 35i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pasco, WA. USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
Ok, so that answers a lot for me. I want them to be flush all around and I would like to rotate all around rather than side to side.

As for the wheels, I am not sold on them yet. I like them, but I am open to others.

If I do go with those, then leave the +35 alone in front and add a spacer to the rear. Twix recommended +12-15 so that means a 20mm spacer. Does that sound right?

Thanks for the help guys. I know this topic has been beat to death, but it is hard to find info to match exactly the need.

That size spacer (20mm) should set your tire out 1.2" That's a little outside of flush.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 PM.




xbimmers
xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST