XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Can_Car
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Installed the Focal IFBMW-S speakers today

On the weekend i picked up the Focal speaker upgrade kit IFBMW-S and I had nothing better to do tonight so I installed it in my X1 which had the hi-fi stereo system.

My limited audio tests so far show that the new speakers have made a considerable improvement, getting better and better than the stock speakers as the volume goes up. I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone who has the hi-fi audio system as it is a relatively straightforward upgrade and delivers good improvement per dollars spent.

Some observations from the installation. First there are some videos on the Internet that show the installation instructions but these are all missing an important step. In my X1 I had to remove the wood trim from each door to get access to two additional screws before the door panel could be removed.

Name:  IMG_1519.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  263.2 KB

I also took a photo of the stock speaker and the Focal side by side. Notice the huge difference in the magnet size.

Name:  IMG_1520.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  403.7 KB

The installation took me about 3 hours but I probably lost about an hour trying to figure out why the door panel couldn't be removed before I ended up removing it and the final two screws. The 2nd door took about 1/4 the time as the first.

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport

Last edited by Can_Car; 07-22-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Can_Car is offline   Canada
      07-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
themishmosh
Private

Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Thanks for posting! I have the HK audio system which I assume is the same as the HiFi audio. After adding a subwoofer, it is passable but not what I would call great. There is a lack of smoothness and transparency to the mids/highs that you get with a better system. I'm going to have to think about the Focals even though it is pretty pricey!
      07-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Can_Car
Enlisted Member

The Harmon Kardon setup has much better speakers and amplifier than the Hi-Fi system in my car. In theory that should mean that the the Focal speaker upgrade that I did should be less of a difference in an X1 with the HK.

07-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
themishmosh
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_Car View Post
The Harmon Kardon setup has much better speakers and amplifier than the Hi-Fi system in my car. In theory that should mean that the the Focal speaker upgrade that I did should be less of a difference in an X1 with the HK.
Good to know...Thanks!
      07-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
aferguson7

Drives: 2014 BMW X135i Xdrive MSport

How much were they and were they worth it?
      07-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
Can_Car
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aferguson7 View Post
How much were they and were they worth it?
I paid $617 Canadian all taxes included (about US$574) from a local car audio shop.

The speakers were definitely worth it and the sound improvement is considerably better than the cheapo stock speakers that I removed.

07-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
themishmosh
Private

Man, it's just hard to fathom bare speaker drivers can cost $600! That kind of component cost for maybe a $4000 pair of home speakers but I'm not sure if it's worth it here. After adding the subwoofer, I'm content with my HK system for now--especially given the price of this and maybe only a slight improvement. Nonetheless, appreciate you posting your upgrade. IMHO, a good audio system makes driving a heck of lot more pleasant!!!