Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb Next Gen 2015 BMW X1 Rumored to Go FWD on UKL Platform

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Next Gen 2015 BMW X1 Rumored to Go FWD on UKL Platform
COMMENTS
Name:  P90093302_highRes.jpg
Views: 7930
Size:  105.7 KB

Anyone wanting a RWD X1 should look into buying a current generation X1, if a new report coming out of Autocar is true.

It's being reported that the current model's RWD / AWD platform (adopted from the E9X 3 series) will be replaced by the FWD / AWD UKL platform when the next gen BMW X1 hits the market around 2015. "UKL" is German for 'Unter Klasse' or 'entry level.'

The FWD UKL platform is the same one upon which the initial FWD BMW models and the next MINI will be built on. The initial lineup of FWD BMW cars will include Gran Turismo, City Compact, and Family Activity Sports Tourer variants. See a summary of the next generation RWD / FWD 1 Series and 2 Series models.

The UKL platform is FWD in its most basic configuration, but may be adopted for AWD by way of its Haldex-style multi-plate clutch setup (like the current MINI Countryman). The xDrive AWD model of the next X1 should see this setup (although expect standard FWD model to be offered as well).

Why the switch to FWD for the non-AWD X1 models? According to the report, this will allow for improved packaging while reducing production costs. There are also economies of scale to come from parts sharing with the next MINI. The transverse mounting of the engine will also result in more interior space.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I know this day will come, BMW with FWD but I'm not with this at all...BMW should stick to RWD with every car with its badge!....
      07-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
If this actually saves costs and those savings actually reach the consumer, I don't really have a problem with this. But I think all all X-Series models should be all AWD/xDrive, the X1 seems to be the only exception to the X-Series line up. The X1 (or any X model) doesn't really need RWD so that doesn't matter to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

bye bye BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim
bye bye BMW
Bye. Were you in the market for the next X1 or something, or are you one of those self proclaimed 'purists'

How does having a FWD version of the x1, while also offering xdrive model, make BMW worse? So they add a few entry model FWD cars so what. All the other models will stay RWD like now.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

And FWD slowly creeps through the line-up like I suspected it would.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
Bye. Were you in the market for the next X1 or something, or are you one of those self proclaimed 'purists'

How does having a FWD version of the x1, while also offering xdrive model, make BMW worse? So they add a few entry model FWD cars so what. All the other models will stay RWD like now.
I bought my M3 for its RWD, MT, Sport handling suspension. And those are the traits BMW must carry on, not some BS FWD vehicles.

Well, it will only bring up my NA V8 6MT value up, so nevermind. I guess people who want those FWD BMW can go ahead to celebrate their BMW badge.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
Shane550X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i xDrive, '13 VW CC,

As Top Gear UK says
"BMW thinks that FWD is the work of satin"
Why change now? They have been doing soooo good!
Please standout by keeping small cars with a standard RWD.
Have a happy 4th!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post

I bought my M3 for its RWD, MT, Sport handling suspension. And those are the traits BMW must carry on, not some BS FWD vehicles.

Well, it will only bring up my NA V8 6MT value up, so nevermind. I guess people who want those FWD BMW can go ahead to celebrate their BMW badge.
Well, your point would be valid if BMW was replacing the whole RWD lineup but instead BMW is merely adding to the lineup. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Also, I see the Go Blue badge. What was your focus at UM? Got some engineers in the family.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
JesperGustavsson
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 and 320iT M E46

Wtf, don't do it! RWD is da shit!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
ramuman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

It better lose the Hofmeister kink then.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
If this actually saves costs and those savings actually reach the consumer, I don't really have a problem with this.
Those costs will not be passed on to the consumer, but will go to increase the company's profit margins. To be sure, the next-gen X1 will not be cheaper than the current-gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerlover76 View Post
Well, your point would be valid if BMW was replacing the whole RWD lineup but instead BMW is merely adding to the lineup. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

They are replacing the RWD X1 with a FWD X1, the RWD 1-series with a FWD 1-series, and the RWD 2-series with a FWD 2-series. And if we're being technical, they're also replacing the RWD Z1 with a FWD Z2.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

It will not be a problem with a FWD X1, as most of the cars sold have xdrive

But if they will release a FWD 1series (hatch for Europe) / 2series (coupe/ cab especially for US market) I think that they will loose a lot of customers!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Coupe

My issue isn't so much with the idea of FWD, but the fact it is branded as an X model. The X in a model designation has always indicated "XDrive" All Wheel Drive, so why even bother with the X designation? At this point they may as well just call it the "1 Series Touring" or something that isn't an X model...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
BMW should have purchased Saab and make unique FWD models rather than having their own FWD line up. Saab's are one of the most capable handling FWD cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
They are replacing the RWD X1 with a FWD X1, the RWD 1-series with a FWD 1-series, and the RWD 2-series with a FWD 2-series. And if we're being technical, they're also replacing the RWD Z1 with a FWD Z2.
The only BMW FWD Vehicles will be the BMW City Compactive hatch in 3dr and 5dr format , BMW 1er Compactive Sports Tourer (GT) , BMW Family Activity Sports Tourer and the X1. With the next generation BMW 1er following through.

The BMW 2er remains as RWD and to combat the loss of the BMW X1 ,
The BMW X2 will take that place , however it forgoes the Coupe esque styling of the X4 and X6 to be simply a lower dynamic SAV (If you look at the Lamborghini Urus Concept , you can see how BMW are thinking in regards to the sportier model) especially when traditional Coupe styling will limit packaging and headroom for the smaller X2.

X2 will be AWD only and will be the first BMW SAC to be offered in 3dr format. It will also be the entry BMW SAC to offer six cylinder engines as the new FWD X1 will not be able to fit an inline six in the engine bay.

The move to FWD is to help transform MINI's profitability , MINI is not as profitable as it should be , especially the Oxford-built cars, The BMW FWD cars will not only help MINI to become profitable but will also increase BMW's sales combined MINI and BMW FWD sales by the end of this decade are expected to be around 800,000 extra units making up more than half of BMW's sales.

The upcoming firing shot to announce the first FWD BMW is coming very soon with the first concept at the Paris Autoshow.
BMW are especially proud because they have re-interpreted FWD to appeal to a BMW customer so much so that some say the upcoming FWD car is especially groundbreaking for a FWD car. Essentially you are looking at possibly one of the most revolutionary and advanced BMW cars yet especially in terms of technology for the class with advanced transmissions and the new advanced Turbo-charged three cylinder engine.

The Compactive Sports Tourer is a direct competitor to Mercedes-Benz's runaway success new gen B-Klasse. Incidentially a car that European customers have been wanting BMW to build ,away from the mono-space mini-vans offered by mainstream manufacturers.
      07-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami
Quote:
If this actually saves costs and those savings actually reach the consumer, I don't really have a problem with this.
Those costs will not be passed on to the consumer, but will go to increase the company's profit margins. To be sure, the next-gen X1 will not be cheaper than the current-gen.

Quote:

This is wrong. Read the link in the article. There will be FWD and RWD 1 series and 2 series will be RWD.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

I understand using FWD on the Mini models. But for BMW models, it would seem like BMW is admitting that Audi was right all along...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
E91-Norway
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
This is what BMW used to say

See more here; http://www.idale.co.za/2010/01/14/bm...drive-adverts/

But I'm afraid that it will happend. Anyway, so lets hope they still will take care of us Rear Wheel Drivers
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami
Quote:

Quote:

This is wrong. Read the link in the article. There will be FWD and RWD 1 series and 2 series will be RWD.
I agree. I don't ever recall them making a 2er FWD. A key point of making a 2-series in the first place was to make room for the 1er FWD line.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel4865
My issue isn't so much with the idea of FWD, but the fact it is branded as an X model. The X in a model designation has always indicated "XDrive" All Wheel Drive, so why even bother with the X designation? At this point they may as well just call it the "1 Series Touring" or something that isn't an X model...
Or BMW could offer a rugged version of the 3-series wagon that offers adjustable height or standard raised suspension. The X1 offers a minimal clearance benefit over the 3 series touring and it's slightly cheaper because it is a "1-series" on stilts. But if the X1 is based off the 3-series, then there's no reason it should exist as the X3 is also based off the 3-series. I tried to like the X1, but all it does is convince people they're buying a piece of the BMW pedigree. I'm hardly saying that my X3 is any sort of premiership vehicle, but it's less aspirational because there's a whole market for a car like it. The X1 is too small to be considered an SUV, and with the higher center of gravity, its low curb weight lacks the substantial, protective mass that SUVs have.

I wish each market was defined by regulation. Every car in its class would have to have the exact same wheelbase, with only the engine offerings, equipment, design, technology, and engineering to set each apart from its competitors.

As a result, market and car class lines would be more defined and we wouldn't stand for the silly excuses carmakers have to justify their niche-filler vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #22
MoeM3Power
Vago Pirata
United_States
Rep
Drives: Voluptuous

I'm not fan of FWD vehicles! FWD doesn't match BMW.....
Appreciate 0