XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

10-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
LevinBR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i

Transmission Fluid Change on X1 35i

I am getting ready to perform a transmission fluid change on my X1 35i (~73k miles). Does anyone know if accessing the fill plug requires any special disassembly? I know I will need a shallow 8mm allen key to get in there, but I see that I may also have to remove the brackets for the transfer case (?) Not sure if that is true or not, but I saw it in one instructional video...

Does anyone have any experience and could I get some advice for the job?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #2
mwtrogus
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Just did it today! Used ZF fluids and a new pan/filter kit. You need to drop the drive shaft to get access, 4 bolts. Also 4 on the exhaust bracket. Make sure you cycle trans thru gears and get up to temp and add more fluid. I used a Schwaben power fill transfer pump kit and it went very smoothly.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
LevinBR
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtrogus View Post
Just did it today! Used ZF fluids and a new pan/filter kit. You need to drop the drive shaft to get access, 4 bolts. Also 4 on the exhaust bracket. Make sure you cycle trans thru gears and get up to temp and add more fluid. I used a Schwaben power fill transfer pump kit and it went very smoothly.
Thanks!! I have several follow up questions for you:

- What kind of bolts on the drive shaft and exhaust bracket? Inverse hex?
- I have 6 liters of ZF fluid. Will that be enough?
- Will a normal allen key be ok for the fill plug or do I need a really shallow one?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
mwtrogus
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinBR View Post
Thanks!! I have several follow up questions for you:

- What kind of bolts on the drive shaft and exhaust bracket? Inverse hex?
- I have 6 liters of ZF fluid. Will that be enough?
- Will a normal allen key be ok for the fill plug or do I need a really shallow one?
The bolts are external torx and easily removed.
I had 6 liters and I think I used about 5 on the fill and the other is still in my power fill unit for future use.
The fill plug has plenty of room after the driveshaft drops out of the way, best to have 3/8th socket style hex keys. Used a small Dewalt impact gun on the removal of everything and all of the pan bolts. That speeds things up and then let it drain for a while.
      11-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
LevinBR
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtrogus View Post
The bolts are external torx and easily removed.
I had 6 liters and I think I used about 5 on the fill and the other is still in my power fill unit for future use.
The fill plug has plenty of room after the driveshaft drops out of the way, best to have 3/8th socket style hex keys. Used a small Dewalt impact gun on the removal of everything and all of the pan bolts. That speeds things up and then let it drain for a while.
What tool did you use to remove the drive shaft bolts? My standard socket wrench could not get the job done. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
LevinBR
Private
United_States
Rep

Never mind, I did some more research. I'll spray with PB blaster, then use a breaker bar. I also realize I need to mark the orientation first. I'm glad I stopped when I did! More advice from anyone is welcomed.
Appreciate 0