Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Edmom5
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G06 X6 M50i

Diesel performance results using RaceChip Pro tuning box for my 23d

Hi all

Just wanted to share my experience with a diesel performance tuning box from RaceChip in Germany. I did lot of searching on the internet and fnally settled on th RaceChip Pro (http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chip...3d-3646-r.html)

Like most people, I was skeptical about the touted performance improvements whilst at the same time improving economy - but boy was I wrong!!

I've now had the unit in my car for over a month, and the results are simply phenomenal! HEAPS of extra power - very noticable indeed. But the real added bonus is that I've improved my fuel consumption by a full 1.0 litre per 100kms!! Unbelievable! So much so that I am almost geting 1000km per tank - averaging 6.4l/100km now.

And there is NO downside so far - it took 10 minutes to install, can be easily removed before a service, and does not increase any black smoke from exhaust or change idle and drivablity characteristics!

I am based in Australia and have no affiliation with the place I bought it from, but thought that others would want to know my experience in case they want to do so. Would HIGHLY recommend this mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

Thanks for sharing your experience with this product .... sounds awfully interesting, and tempting!

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for shippg to Australia, and how long it took to arrive, and is your car auto or manual?

Have you considered implications for warranty and insurance?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Edmom5
Australia
Rep

Hi

Because we live outside the EU, we can get the unit without VAT so it cost 192.44 EUR, and shipping was 45 EUR. Given the strength of the Aussie $$ at the moment, very cheap!

My car is a Xdrive 23d auto.

As for warranty and insurance:

a) you cannot detect that the box was ever on the car as it is installed past the ECU and directly into the fuel rail, so warranty not an issue as long as you remember to take it off before the service!

b) insurance? Well, the unit is very small and not easily noticeable so I wouldnt be too worried. Can always quickly take it off if you need to!!

What is amazing to me is how much better the power and fuel use is though - makes me wonder why the engines are detuned to such a level.

Anyway, to me it is well worth a very minor risk!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

Looks like a bargain at around A$320.

Many thanks for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

My first reaction to reading your post was great, at last a discussion about something not related to I Phones or angel eyes (at this point I've annoyed a lot of readers), but rather how a cars performance can be sensibly enhanced. After a lot of consideration I felt it important to raise the following points:

1. An X1's centre of gravity is higher than a normal car so without altering the suspension/lowering the vehical you will be affecting stability.

2. I don't know what BHP you've achieved, but if you take a Porsche Boxster/Cayman as an example it will probably have a similar BHP. The brakes on the Porsche are larger and ventilated for a reason. Because of the X1's weight (heavier) you will have reduced your stopping distance unlesss you have upgraded your brakes.

3. Extra power if used at high rev's will create additional stresses on different components, and produce more heat. The modification that you have mentioned should not in my opinion be done without upgrading the parts most at risk (shell bearings/clutch etc.), and the cooling system.

4. As for insurance should you have an accident and somebody is injured, and your insurance invalidated, how will you feel about having wrecked somebody elses life?

I'm not an engineer but have owned cars such as Cateram Severns, Sunbeam Tigers, Costello MGB's, Audi TT's and a Porsche Boxster S Sport Edition and in my experience a 'chip' power upgrade should be the last thing that you do, and if you can't afford the extra insurance premium don't carry out the modification.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
4. As for insurance should you have an accident and somebody is injured, and your insurance invalidated, how will you feel about having wrecked somebody elses life?
In my experience the power of the car has no real connection to the likelihood of accident. More related to IQ than BHP. All the incidents that have happened TO me (so far, touch wood) have not occurred above 20mph.

Also, the 23 is fairly sprightly - I can't imagine this chip will shift it's performance dramatically enough to make it a hazard to drive.

I could be wrong of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Edmom5
Australia
Rep

Gee, I never thought I'd see a nanny response in a forum such as this!!

The main purpose I purchase the unit for was to improve midrange oomph, not to become Mark Webber. I actually race cars as a hobby and know ALL about the engineering aspects, and since this is my daily drive it just adds to the experience, as well as saving me $$ on the long commute to the office.

Anyway 196kW is not a huge amount - its the smallest amount of power of any car I've owned in the past 10 years and certainly coult not be compared to a Cayman!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
My first reaction to reading your post was great, at last a discussion about something not related to I Phones or angel eyes (at this point I've annoyed a lot of readers), but rather how a cars performance can be sensibly enhanced. After a lot of consideration I felt it important to raise the following points:

1. An X1's centre of gravity is higher than a normal car so without altering the suspension/lowering the vehical you will be affecting stability.

2. I don't know what BHP you've achieved, but if you take a Porsche Boxster/Cayman as an example it will probably have a similar BHP. The brakes on the Porsche are larger and ventilated for a reason. Because of the X1's weight (heavier) you will have reduced your stopping distance unlesss you have upgraded your brakes.

3. Extra power if used at high rev's will create additional stresses on different components, and produce more heat. The modification that you have mentioned should not in my opinion be done without upgrading the parts most at risk (shell bearings/clutch etc.), and the cooling system.

I'm not an engineer but have owned cars such as Cateram Severns, Sunbeam Tigers, Costello MGB's, Audi TT's and a Porsche Boxster S Sport Edition and in my experience a 'chip' power upgrade should be the last thing that you do, and if you can't afford the extra insurance premium don't carry out the modification.

First of all I agree totally on the insurance side, not worth the risk, jail is one thing but living with putting someone in a wheelchair and not having your insurance cover them is not something I could do.

Also, please don't think BMW won't know, they will, it leaves a trail that shouts 'I have been modded!!'.

I totally disagree on the parts etc. the brakes etc. are used on the 335d which is still far more powerful, the gearbox is good for 700nm so still loads of headroom.

And I guarantee that we will see this engine kicking out this sort of power before it is retired, and with the same parts.
It is all marketing.
the 320d was 124bhp, then 138bhp then 150bhp using all the same parts, as BMW increase power Audi then go slightly better, then Mercedes better that so BMW up the power on theirs, it is a never ending cycle, as long as you are slightly better than the competition that is all that matter.

The X1 still handles better than most saloons with the same power, so I would not be concerned about the slight increase in power. And if they do release a 30d xDrive it will be using the same parts as the 23d anyway. It is on the 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Well, I´ve asked the manufactor directly about the gearbox, it is in another thread. They guarantee 450 nm. Don´t know where youvé got your 700 nm from??? But the gearbox in the six cylinder diesel cars, i.e 530d, is 600 nm no problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Well I thought the gearbox is the same in the 23d as it is in the 330d, 335d etc when auto?
And that is rated to 600nm and many have tuned it to 700nm with no problems.

I was not thinking of manual, which as we know just can't take that much at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
burgman
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

race chip pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmom5 View Post
Hi all

Just wanted to share my experience with a diesel performance tuning box from RaceChip in Germany. I did lot of searching on the internet and fnally settled on th RaceChip Pro (http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chip...3d-3646-r.html)

Like most people, I was skeptical about the touted performance improvements whilst at the same time improving economy - but boy was I wrong!!

I've now had the unit in my car for over a month, and the results are simply phenomenal! HEAPS of extra power - very noticable indeed. But the real added bonus is that I've improved my fuel consumption by a full 1.0 litre per 100kms!! Unbelievable! So much so that I am almost geting 1000km per tank - averaging 6.4l/100km now.

And there is NO downside so far - it took 10 minutes to install, can be easily removed before a service, and does not increase any black smoke from exhaust or change idle and drivablity characteristics!

I am based in Australia and have no affiliation with the place I bought it from, but thought that others would want to know my experience in case they want to do so. Would HIGHLY recommend this mod.
yes,i wanna try on my x1 18dsdrive with race chip pro,but i hope its not bad for my car...for 225 euro i have than 192 cv and 425 torck...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
danyro
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3/F25 x30d AT 08/16

Edmom5 - please can you give us some feedback after those months while you used the box? any problems? any advices?

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
Edmom5
Australia
Rep

Update after 15,000kms

Hey Danro!

After doing around 15000 km on it, nothing has changed - still great power delivery and diesel consumption at 6.5 l/100km.

What more could you ask for?

Very happy all in all, and so simple to install too. Can't recommend it enough.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #14
Barrysydney
Rep
Drives: 2010 23xd

Hi Edmom5,
I have just chipped my 23d last week and can tell the difference straight away although I only get the normal version. Even my wife can tell the car become more powerful. Now I am waiting to see the consumption figure. Thank you very much for introducing the Rcaechip.
Cheers Barry
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Very intrested in this as sounds a great bit of equipment. Just look at the link provided on the first post and read this under disadvantages:

•Chip tuning can often be detected by the vehicle manufacturer. Because of this you void your normal vehicle warranty.

So given that piece of useful information I may wait till the car is out of warranty rather than risk it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #16
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

and from BMW:

The following are extracted from a Service Information Bulletin issued to BMW dealerships:
"Warranty does not apply to the following:

Modifications of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which result in damage to other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks, or wind noise.

Is it worth the risk.........?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #17
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bottle View Post
Is it worth the risk.........?
That is a decision only you can make.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have made the decision to at least wait till the warranty is up, goggled more stuff that makes me think...

Performance Modifications: Don't modify or "chip" your car
A few years back, Ford issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) regarding blown head gaskets on 6.0 Powerstroke turbo diesel engines in F series pickups (2005 and up). A rash of pickups were coming into shops across the country with blown head gaskets. The common thread? Power chips were installed to boost engine output. According to the TSB, on trucks with blown head gaskets, techs were to check for the installation of a power chip, which increases engine power by modifying the drivability and engine management parameters. Part of the programming modification on these vehicles included increasing turbo boost (which increased combustion chamber pressures), thus blowing head gaskets. In such cases where the vehicle was under warranty, claims were denied and engine warranties were voided. In this case, the carmaker confirmed that head gasket failure was indeed due to installation of the power chips. The carmaker was well within their right to deny claims and void engine warranties.

Did you sell your X1 yet gIzzE ?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

No not yet.
Not really tried to be honest.

You do have to be a bit careful with tuning these days with BMW.
A remap can always be found if they are looking, an add on box may make them suspect that something has been done but they would then have to prove it, which is extremely difficult.

BMW systems now talk back to Germany and there have been cases recently where warranty has been refused because the ECU has been modified.

Right now I personally wouldn't remap my car, however I would have no problem with a decent tuning box.

Although I had a service the other day and they updated my software, so I have left the box off since then as I know any possibility of it having left a trace (increased fuel pressure etc.) of it will have been wiped when the update was done.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
jaxxsson
A man's reflection
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I also installed the racechip pro in my X1 sdrive18d

I immediately felt the extra torque on factory defaults which are E0.

What settings do you have your chip on?

Currently I am on F4, I read that setting 45 would be the max to get out of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #21
Alesyz
Registered
Rep
Drives: E39 525DA

Hello. I bought my Racechip Pro before 3 years. But my car, E39 525D, doesn't like this chip. There is a lot of black smoke from the exhaust. I've driven about 4-5000 km, smoke is present. I tried to set up different values of the chip, but, no success. I really don't what to do with this smoke.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Most reputable tuners offer a warranty of 2 years for their products
The prices are higher but you're free of issues during this period!
Appreciate 0